Firefox (Nightly) won't autofill if started from 1Password; will if already started up

If I launch FF and then ask 1p to "Open and Fill" all goes OK.
If I quit FF and then "Open and Fill", a new browser window is launched, the correct site is navigated to but no autofill occurs.

I mostly use nightly, think the problem also affects other versions but can't swear to it...

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Win 10, all current patches
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@1pB0b: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the trouble. That's a limitation of Firefox. If it is not running when you attempt to Open & Fill a website, the fill cannot happen as its extensions are -- including 1Password -- were not running either, and it takes a bit to initialize.

• 1pB0b
    1pB0b
    Community Member

So why not a trivial short delay? Or some sort of poll until the extension reports that it is initialized?

At the very least put this behaviour somewhere in the documentation...so that other people aren't caught out.

Is there a bug open with Mozilla regarding this? It would seem worthwhile to punt this 'upstairs.'

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So why not a trivial short delay? Or some sort of poll until the extension reports that it is initialized?

@1pB0b: We can't in the extension because it's not running yet anyway. We can and do in the desktop app, but making it longer would affect all 1Password users, and ultimately the delay will differ between machines. We could make it long enough to theoretically cover all of that...but that causes other problems and quite literally makes the experience worse for all 1Password users just to "help" a few. It's not a reasonable solution.

At the very least put this behaviour somewhere in the documentation...so that other people aren't caught out.

This maybe comes up once every few months, and it's not feasible for us to document all the quirks of other people's software. I could make a long list of those, most of which come up just as often; but we need to focus on developing and supporting 1Password. It's possible that Mozilla has documented this, but I wouldn't know for certain as that's not where I spend my time.

Is there a bug open with Mozilla regarding this? It would seem worthwhile to punt this 'upstairs.'

I'm not sure it constitutes a "bug", as there may be specific reasons it's designed like that. But you'd have to check with Mozilla either way.

It seems like the obvious solution until the way Firefox works changes, would be to simply Open & Fill with the browser open, or hit Ctrl \ to fill after it finishes opening. Let me know if that helps.

This discussion has been closed.