Experience coming from LastPass

razi
razi
Community Member
edited November 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

I've shifted from LastPass to 1Password Family and I'm really happy with 1Password, well designed interface and apps on mobile and Mac, so keep up the good work.

I have few points to highlight which either I've noticed or missing an experience coming from LastPass, I wasn't sure which session to post this in, but figured that most of points I have are related to browser, so I decided to post it here:
1) On Mac/PC: Offer to save password after log in. 1P offers to save password only before log in, and this might cause annoyance sometimes. For example, I'm setting up a new account on a website, used 1P password generator, 1P offered to save, I saved, clicking register gave an error for some reason -like website does not accept more than 14 chars password-. This forces me to open 1P, go to the newly created password, edit it and generate a new password, save, copy, then go back to the website and paste. LastPass usually asks only after successful log in, so I can choose to update -if the item exists in my vault- or create a new item.
2) On Mac/PC: while generating a password on a website, the suggestions item doesn't give me the control to choose length, how many digits, lower/upper case, how many special charts. I have to either use the browser extension or use the native app to generate a password with my specifications. It would be faster if can modify the password parameters as suggestion offers the new password.
3) On Mac/PC: Using the 1P extension, I'm not able to save new passwords while working offline -no internet- I must depend on the native app on Mac to save them. Not a big deal but this will makes me switch between the browser and native app while offline just to save new passwords.
4) I've noticed Mac app (7.4.1) has a glitch, if I modify any item on my iPhone, the Mac App won't get the update till I switch between vaults. I think it's a bug. I'm using Mac 10.15.1
5) The 2FA is so amazing and saves a lot of time for me, no need to have another app for 2FA, though I must say it worries me sometimes as (I'm putting all my eggs in one basket), 2FA is another level of protection in case my 1P is compromised but I'm in control of my 1P access, so I'm a happy user :chuffed:
6) 1P extensions for Chrome: having 2 extensions -one requires the native app- is confusing for me and still don't know what is the difference between them but I found the extension that doesn't require the app to be more helpful to me
7) On iPhone, I love how 1P autocopy the 2FA code so that I can just paste it once the 2FA screen appears, well done 1P team :chuffed:

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Family
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: OS X 10.15.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@razi: Thanks for getting in touch! The feedback is appreciated, and it looks like there are a few things that will help you too. :)

1. It sounds like you're referring specifically to 1Password X. The desktop apps and their companion extensions work the way you seem to want, prompting after login, since all of that can be handled safely outside the browser. It's something we've looked into for 1Password X too, but currently offering to save a Login item after successfully signing in requires a few things we're not willing to do when running solely within the browser. To name one: arbitrarily capturing and maintaining data you've entered into fields as well as all the details of the page in the background, just in case you might want to save a login, as you navigate websites. There are a number of performance and security concerns surrounding this feature request, and while we haven't given up on it entirely, for now it's not feasible to do it and also maintain the standards that users expect of 1Password.
    2. We use a sane default for the Suggested Password feature that is compatible with most sites and super quick and convenient. We don't want a few bad apples (websites with antiquated "password requirements") to spoil this for the whole bunch. But we'll continue to evaluate and evolve both the Suggested Password feature and the full Password Generator.
    3. I hear you, but since 1Password X runs entirely in the browser, saving a password there and then closing the browser could cause you to get locked out of the account. The desktop app runs entirely outside the browser and has its own storage for data, so it's completely safe to safe a new password offline, because it can be sure to sync it once you have internet access again. We're working on integration between the desktop app and 1Password X though, so that may be a moot point in the future for those using both. However...I have to ask: what's the situation that you're saving login credentials without internet access? It may be something worth considering, keeping in mind the rest of what I said.
    4. It sounds like you're using a 1Password membership account 1Password X only works with that, but then you listed "iCloud" as your sync type. Can you clarify for me and provide additional context and steps to try to reproduce the issue you're describing? I'll be happy to look into it.
    5. You may want to check out this post from our Defender Against the Dark Arts for context, and a good discussion in general; but generally I'd say it's much better to keep these "eggs" in a secure "basket" rather than somewhere else, given the alternatives are usually not as secure (or secure at all), that data availability is equally important, and of course because TOTP provides a number of security benefits which you still get regardless of where you store it.
    6. Yeah, sorry for the confusion there. 1Password X is relatively new and was created first and foremost so that people who cannot use the desktop apps can still use 1Password in their browser. And some people really prefer the older desktop app/extension combo. But others, like yourself, are very happy with 1Password X. I'd suggest going with one or the other based on your preference, to avoid confusion between the two. You can certainly use both; I do; but doing so really can be confusing, and is completely unnecessary for most people.
    7. I really love that too! it's especially significant because iOS Password Autofill, while incredibly cool and convenient, supports only username/password/URL data. So it was great of Apple to listen to developer feedback and allow a way for us to automate copying the TOTP code when filling. It's a huge time saver!

I hope that helps. Again, thanks for taking the time -- and for using 1Password in the first place! And if you have any other questions or feedback, let us know. Cheers! :)

• razi
    razi
    Community Member

@brenty I really appreciate the responses.
    1: I will use the App+Chrome Extension and see the difference between that and 1PasswordX
    2: Note taken.
    3: I have some none-internet networks; updating or creating new accounts in those systems wouldn't work, but I guess I'll depend on the Native app.
    4: Sorry if I confused you, I have 1Password online account and not iCloud.
    5: That's a good read and makes sense too. I have moved all my 2FA to 1Password. The best part about it is for shared account with family, they will have the 2FA in their 1Password account. Simply beautiful.
    6: I'll start using the other extension and then decide on which to go with.

Thank you for creating such an amazing app and tool :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

3: I have some none-internet networks; updating or creating new accounts in those systems wouldn't work, but I guess I'll depend on the Native app.

@razi: Thanks for clarifying! I'm glad that the native app helps, but we'll see if we can find a good way to improve 1Password X in that regard in the future as well. :)

Also, thanks for the kind words, and for your support! Let me know if you have any other questions along the way. Happy holidays! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.