Trouble syncing between my iMac desktop(iPW 7) and Laptop. Can you help me through the process?.

Options
Courtjr
Courtjr
Community Member

I used to have no problem with the syncing. I have Mohave on my iMac and Catalina on my laptop. I have tried following instructions on from you folks, but still can't get syncing to work. Hopefully you can help.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Trouble syncing between my iMac desktop(iPW 7) and my Laptop. Can you help me through the process?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Courtjr!

I have tried following instructions on from you folks

Can you please let us know which instructions you have you been following?

• Courtjr
    Courtjr
    Community Member
    Options

It wasn't from any specific conversation with one of your team members. It was just reading various comments in the discussion and also online. Perhaps you just provide me instructions with how to do it even if I have to start from scratch. Thanks a lot.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Courtjr:

Thank you for the clarification. If you are syncing with Dropbox, here are the instructions to configure sync. And here you can find the troubleshooting steps in case you are having issues with Dropbox sync.

• Courtjr
    Courtjr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Will give a try and get back if more questions.

• Courtjr
    Courtjr
    Community Member
    Options

In my dropbox I have two of these and each one of these is a different size. One must be from one computer and one from the other one??????
    1Password.opvault 995 KB
    1Password.opvault. 1.3 MB

How can I determine the correct one????

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Courtjr:

Yes, that would explain why your two machines are not syncing.

How can I determine the correct one????

Which one of your computers has the most up-to-date data? Is it your iMac or your laptop?

Based on the answer to that question, you know which 1Password.opvault file to keep using.

• Courtjr
    Courtjr
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Communication is good so far. Thank you. However, in my dropbox folder, I have 2 - 1password.opvault files different sizes. This attached photo is from my desktop iMac and when I go into my laptop and enter dropbox, I get the same photo. When I open 1password on my iMac, it is the file I want the laptop to sync to. I assume I should delete one, but don't know which one is connected to my desk iMac. The dates showing are all the same.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Courtjr:

This attached photo is from my desktop iMac and when I go into my laptop and enter dropbox, I get the same photo.

Certainly, because Dropbox data is the same on both computers, so it's normal that you see the same thing on both machines. What is 1Password showing on your iMac though? What .opvault file is your 1Password for Mac app pointing to? This is what we have to figure out.

You can see this in 1Password Preferences > Sync tab. In that window, it will tell you the location of your 1Password file.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Since one opvault is 1.3MB and the other is 995KB (0.995MB), the larger file is most likely the one I would select. However, I'd go to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password, click on 1Password.opvault, and confirm the size of the iMac vault and do the same on the laptop.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad:

This should not be necessary: it is possible to see what vault a 1Password app is using directly within the 1Password Preferences, without looking at the file system.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Would that be under the "Vaults" preference option? On my MBA here in AZ, it just shows "Primary vault" but that is because I don't sync it with my iDevices anymore. I'll have to check my iMac when I get back to California on Thursday to see what it shows under "Vaults"

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad:

That would be under the Sync tab of the Preferences.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I'll check that on the iMac when I'm back in Calif. Here on the MBA it only lists my Primary Vault.

• Ben
    Options

@romad

it only lists my Primary Vault.

Sure, but that isn't the file the vault is syncing to. You'll want to note which OPVault file is being synced to in 1Password > Preferences > Sync by clicking on the Primary vault.

Ben

• Courtjr
    Courtjr
    Community Member
    Options

When I went to the SYNC tab it said "none." Other options were iCloud and dropbox. I was fiddling with these yesterday so maybe it got left on none. What would happen if I removed one of the 1Password.opvault's and put off in a folder or on my desktop and then see if the one left is the one?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Courtjr:

What would happen if I removed one of the 1Password.opvault's and put off in a folder or on my desktop and then see if the one left is the one?

Nothing major, you can always move that .opvault file back where it was at a later time.

This discussion has been closed.