How many families can one account be a member of, which invitation type do I use?

linlu
linlu
Community Member
edited December 2019 in Families

Background: Noob here. I setup an account so that my sister and I could manage my mom's passwords. The issue is that she (sister) has her own existing account and might be in a family already. I signed up for the families account so I could share.

Q:
1. Can she (sister) be a member of more than one family and have her own private vault that I won't see and vice versa?
2. Should I instead invite her (sister) as a guest and not bother with sending her an invite to my family?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how many families can one account be a member of

Comments

• @linlu

Sure your sister can be a member of more than one family. She can even use the same email to help keep things tidy for her. As a guest, she can only access a single specific vault which you would designate, she would not have access to a private vault. Whereas being a family member, she would get a private vault and be able to access other vaults that you specify.

1Password Families member vs. guest

I would, however, take a moment to recommend that you consider she be a full family member, and you take a look at account recovery options. As a guest, she would not be able to recover accounts. As a Family Organizer she could be set up to recover your account, and your mothers should the need arise. Likewise, you could recover her account if the need arose. Recovery is the single greatest reason that I love 1Password Families. Even if you choose not to add her as a family member, I highly recommend at least having one other family member set up to help recover accounts.

Sharing a vault with a Guest

I hope that the links and information above helps you to decide on how to proceed. If you have further questions now or in the future, we're here to help.

• linlu
    linlu
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_tommy .
    So if I understand you correctly, if she has her own existing account - individual or family:
    1. I can still invite her to my family
    2. Joining my family would not require her to unjoin her family (if it exists)
    3. Joining my family would not prevent her from upgrading her existing account to her own family account while still being a member of my family.

1. Yes, you can.
    2. Yes, she can join your family, and still remain a part of her own account. (Individual or Family account.)
    3. Joining your account would not prevent her from modifying her account. Her account is hers and she would be able to upgrade and or downgrade as she see's fit.

Hope that help.

This discussion has been closed.