iCloud Keychain -> Firefox/Chrome -> 1Password?

This discussion was created from comments split from: How do I import my passwords from Iphone (ICloud) to 1Password?.

Comments

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

@MrC:

Not to hijack the thread, but as the resident expert on import/export operations with browser PMs, I'd like to pick your brain. Is it better to try to "tame" Safari and its keychain to source 1PW logins or to push/pull its logins to another, friendlier browser PM such as Firefox or Chrome before employing a simpler, hopefully more reliable import into 1PW.

I ask because I have this situation coming up for a remote 1PW Family member: needing to get tons of logins and bookmarks currently in Safari/iCloud keychain into a virgin installation of 1PW7 Mac (likely on iMac) and IOS (iPhone and likely iPad). Currently kicking the tires on a MacBook Pro to see if replacing old daily driver PC (Explorer/Edge with iCloud linked) with Apple gear makes sense. I'm guessing—yes. Thus the question.

• Hi @williakz

I'm not MrC, and admittedly he is more knowledgable in this area that I. He is of course welcome to chime in as well, but I wanted to share my thoughts. I would personally not suggest trying to go through an intermediary like Firefox or Chrome unless that were for some reason the only option. My concern would be that it might end up being a bit like playing the telephone game... something is lost at each juncture.

Ben

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Thanks, @Ben. Always eager to hear what you have to say (when are you guys gonna get upvoting for your posts?).

For my wife's 1PW import, I remember having to click away each one of an endless stream of errors during the pull from Safari/keychain. Ended up with pretty much nothing usable for my efforts. OTOH, my own Chrome import was a snap, as was my brother's from Firefox.

• Always eager to hear what you have to say

That's very kind of you. :)

when are you guys gonna get upvoting for your posts?

To be honest I don't know that we've ever had the discussion. Off hand I'm not sure it would provide a lot of value in the context of a support forum such as this where most of the threads are being addressed by team members, but I'd be open to hearing about the thought further. Perhaps a new thread in the Lounge?

For my wife's 1PW import, I remember having to click away each one of an endless stream of errors during the pull from Safari/keychain. Ended up with pretty much nothing usable for my efforts. OTOH, my own Chrome import was a snap, as was my brother's from Firefox.

I recall iCloud Keychain requiring that each record accessed prompt for authorization... indeed, quite a pain. If you've already tried the direct method and haven't had much luck it may be worth trying Chrome or Firefox as an intermediary. I suppose the worst that happens is you delete the data that is imported and revert to using the direct option. If you decide to try it please do let us know how it turns out. I may need to alter my thinking on the subject.

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2019

@williakz

For iCloud Keychain items, the GetSafari12Passwords should work fine for getting the Safairi passwords out of Keychain. There is an updated version in the Custom folder at the site shown in the converter suite post.

There is a video showing the entire processes at Help > Videos > ConvertSafariPasswords.mp4 . Just be sure to close Safari before running the GetSafari12Passwords script since Safari has a bug that prematurely locks the password dialog while it is being used. The script will take you through the process, creating a CSV which can be imported directly using the csv converter in the suite, or you can massage into a format appropriate for 1Password's native CSV import.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Thanks, @MrC. I'll give the utility a shakeout on a test bed before I go for real with my family member.

Do you share the concern voiced by @Ben that importing logins into a different browser PM before importing to 1PW is fraught?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2019

@williakz ,

I would personally avoid any circuitous process of using one browser to try to cull passwords from others, just to get exports into yet another PM. But that's more a general philosophy, and not based on direct experience in this case, with these pieces of software. Export, Conversion, Import always has some limitations, mappings, and possible issues, so the fewer levels of indirection, the better.

But in the end, whatever works for you, and those you are supporting, is best.

This discussion has been closed.