Non-Subscription -> Subscription

Options
Jace
Jace
Community Member
edited December 2019 in Mac

I have a non-subscription license for 1Password 7.
If I wanted to switch to the subscription license, what are the steps?
I tried switching to a subscription a year ago (October 2018) and it turned out to be a mess, so I canceled the subscription.
I don't want a repeat of what happened last time.
Will my vault still remain on iCloud?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hey @Jace

Here is our page dedicated to helping you in moving your existing data to a 1Password account. I love it because it has a video, and you can rewind and pause as needed. I always recommend watching it, then taking a break, and come back to watch it again. I do that for all instructional videos. I find that break helps the mind to relax and soak up the details better. You may also find something you missed on the first viewing. The video eliminates me chatting away and saying one thing and meaning something totally different. Which we all know happens from time to time, ask my kids. :)
    As to your iCloud data, yes, it would remain until you remove it.

You also mentioned you had a previous account, please remember that we do not handle account-related questions via the forums. To do so requires you contact support@1password.com. This is for your privacy, safety, and security.

• Jace
    Jace
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for you're prompt and detailed response.
    I will watch the video.

Thanks!

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2019
    Options

You're welcome! :) :+1:

• Jace
    Jace
    Community Member
    Options

The video did not help at all. It's a 55 second video - really???
    Now I am confused.
    Why would I go to a website address my.1password.com to migrate my passwords?
    Is the subscription 1Password web-based?
    Would I still use the same app I'm using now with a subscription?
    Right now my data is on my computer and on iCloud.
    Where is this website migrating my data too?
    Is my data not kept on my computer and iCloud with a subscription?
    Why does it need to migrate my data anywhere?

• Jace
    Jace
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe I can simply this.
    Is non-subscription 1Password still available?
    In other words, when 1Password 8 gets released, can I simply purchase it as I did 1Password 7?

Assuming the answer to the above is Yes.
    I have been trying to talk my sister into getting 1Password.
    How would she go about getting the non-subscription version?

• Jace
    Jace
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

I asked this question but the team member (ag_tommy) that was helping me seemed to have quit communicating.
    I hope other 1Password team members are more helpful.

If I wanted to switch to the subscription license, what are the steps?
    Will my vault still remain on iCloud?
    Why would I go to a website address my.1password.com to migrate my passwords, why can I not do this in the app?
    Would I still use the same app I'm using now with a subscription or do I need to delete it and download another one?
    Where is this website migrating my data too, is it being stored on 1Password servers?
    Is my data kept on my computer and iCloud with a subscription?
    Why does it need to migrate my data, why would I not just keep using the vault I have now on my computer?

Thank you

1Password Version: 7.3.2
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.15.2
    Sync Type: iCloud

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hey Jace,

I assure you, I have not quit communicating with you, and I apologize that you didn't get a response in what you felt like was a timely manner. We always strive to answer posts in the order received. Your followup posts just so happened to fall during my normal days off.

I have merged your second topic into this one to ensure an even flow of information, and prevent duplication of services on our end. Typically with forum software, you would @ " the username" such as @jace that will help ensure that I see a reply from you upon my return.

So about those questions, and you ask some great ones. :)

Post #1

The video did not help at all. It's a 55 second video - really???

Yes, it's a primer video, used to answer some general questions. The videos are broken down and are part of various topics throughout the support pages. Please try our Youtube channel for additional videos.

Why would I go to a website address my.1password.com to migrate my passwords?

Your membership is part of a hosted solution. The video picks up with the user immediately after they have created a membership. You log in to the site, and the app realizes you logged into a 1Password account, and you are presented with options for migrating your data from other 3rd party sync services, such as iCloud and Dropbox. The video is using the most efficient way to migrate your data. You can always configure the setup manually from the client app should you wish to do so.

Is the subscription 1Password web-based?

Yes, It's a cloud-hosted service much like Dropbox or iCloud except this runs on servers for 1Password.com memberships. You can log in to iCloud and or Dropbox and access your data just as you can with 1Password. It's also locally stored on your device for offline use.

Would I still use the same app I'm using now with a subscription?

Yes

The same would be for a 1Password membership. Your data would be cached locally, allowing you to access it offline. When you regain internet access, any changes that you made locally will also be made to your account.

Where is this website migrating my data too?

Your data would be migrated to your 1Password account.

Is my data not kept on my computer and iCloud with a subscription?

With a subscription, your data is locally cached for offline use, and it's stored inside your 1Password account. With a membership, there would be no reason to continue syncing your data through iCloud.

Why does it need to migrate my data anywhere?

Currently, your data is contained in a 3rd party sync service such as iCloud or Dropbox. In order to use a 1Password account, it would need to be moved off those 3rd parties systems and into the 1Password system. Your data would be migrated (copied or moved, depending on what option you use when migrating your data) from the 3rd party sync service to your 1Password.com account.

Post #2

Maybe I can simply this.
    Is non-subscription 1Password still available?

Yes

In other words, when 1Password 8 gets released, can I simply purchase it as I did 1Password 7?

Yes, you can provided that stand-alone licenses are still being sold then.

Assuming the answer to the above is Yes.
    I have been trying to talk my sister into getting 1Password.
    How would she go about getting the non-subscription version?

Download 1Password from the 1Password website, and upon seeing the welcome screen, select the option for: "Need a stand-alone license? We have those too."

If you have additional questions, or I happened to miss something, please feel free to ask away. I or one of the others will try to answer them. Take care,

Tommy

ps. Great forum picture. I have a host of dogs myself, though larger breeds mainly. I have 4 that are 15 years old, and my youngest is 3 years old so, it's been a minute since I was able to hold one like that.

• Jace
    Jace
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Thank you for your response. I was a little anxious for a response because I wanted to be prepared if my sister decided to get 1Password. I wanted to have the information I needed to get her going.

If I am interpreting what you said correctly (with a subscription based account) my passwords would be stored on 1Password servers and a copy cached to my device?

If that is true, I see no reason for it. It simply creates yet another copy of my passwords for hackers to access. Not to mention the attraction that 1Password servers would have for a hacker as opposed to a single personal computer.

I don't mind paying annually for the stand-alone version, as long as the price remains comparable to the subscription price.

I will stick with a stand-alone license as long as it is offered. I will recommend the same to my sister.

If for some reason support is discontinued for stand-alone version, I will need to look elsewhere or handle my passwords the old fashion way of writing them in a notebook, but storing them on 1Password servers would not be an option for me.

Thank you

Jace

• @Jase

I could only expect you to be anxious, after all it's your digital life that we are talking about. I too find myself in such situations, we have all been there. :) You can always be assured we're here to help.

If I am interpreting what you said correctly (with a subscription based account) my passwords would be stored on 1Password servers and a copy cached to my device?

Yes, indeed

If that is true, I see no reason for it. It simply creates yet another copy of my passwords for hackers to access. Not to mention the attraction that 1Password servers would have for a hacker as opposed to a single personal computer.

I have another take one that. You have one person doing your safety and security (yourself) outside of the manufacturer such as Apple. Using the 1Password membership you have an entire team devoted to your data's safety and security.

I don't mind paying annually for the stand-alone version, as long as the price remains comparable to the subscription price.

If a standalone works for you, then please use what makes you happy. It's an entirely personal decision.

I will stick with a stand-alone license as long as it is offered. I will recommend the same to my sister.

If thats your choice then, proceed at full speed ahead. :) Each of us have different needs and sounds like the stand-alone license more closely full-fills your needs. If that changes, please remember we are here to help.

If for some reason support is discontinued for stand-alone version, I will need to look elsewhere or handle my passwords the old fashion way of writing them in a notebook, but storing them on 1Password servers would not be an option for me.

I would urge you to research your options when of if it ever happens. Almost all password manager services (that I know of) now offer web access. Please don't use a notebook, if that day ever arrives. Find an appropriate solution that will work for you. I would hope to keep you as a loyal customer for a very long time. So here is to stand-alone licenses being around for a very long time. ;)

As always write back with any questions you or your sister may have. I think I have answered all of your them, if I missed something please let me know, I'll be glad to assist.

Tommy

• Jace
    Jace
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Yes you did answer everything, I appreciate that.
    I have used 1Password for many years and I am very happy with it.
    I will stay with the stand-alone version, it works well for me.

Thank you for all your help.

Jace

• Jace
    Jace
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Sorry, one more question.

I keep reading about 1Password "secret key" and that only we have it, 1Password never has it.
    I read that it's generated on our local computer and never sent to 1Password.
    So far, so good.
    Now I read something that seems to contradict the above.
    I read...

"Find your Secret Key on 1Password.com
    You can find your Secret Key and Setup Code in your 1Password account on the web. Use a browser you’ve used to sign in to your account before, like the browser you used to create your account.
    Sign in to your 1Password account.
    Click your name in the top right and choose Get the Apps to see your Setup Code."

The above statement can be read here.

I know I must be misreading something. I hope you can explain what I am missing.

Thanks.

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hey and Good Morning @Jace

A Secret Key, only applies to a 1Password membership. With your decision to remain on the standalone license, you would not have a Secret Key. I have tried to reword this a few times as not to seem so short. Sorry if this comes across as being short. However, thats the ultimate answer, in your case its not important to your setup, because you don't have one.

On the help pages, you often find a mix of membership and standalone information. We all, and I am including myself, often overlook the colored-sections, it's often important to check on our support pages. It will give invaluable information about memberships vs. standalone licenses.

Keep them coming, :)

• Jace
    Jace
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Good morning. I understand that I don't have a secret key.
    I am asking about a subscription account.
    Why does the link I gave above state "You can find your Secret Key and Setup Code in your 1Password account on the web."

1Password claims subscription based is secure because 1Password never has the secret key, only I would have it.
    If that's true, how would I be able to go to my web based 1Password account and find my secret key?

• @Jace

Would you mind if I directed you to a posting by another staff member? It's a good discussion on the very question you asked. I also wanted to direct you to a support document. About your Secret Key It's also a valuable read.

Your Secret Key and being able to view it, within a browser

• Jace
    Jace
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

@ag_tommy I don't mind at all.
    The link you sent me has a link on it to the page I am questioning Learn where to find your Secret Key.

That page says that you can access the secret key online, which is in direct contradiction of what 1Password keeps saying.

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hey @Jace

In the second post from Ben in the link above: Your Secret Key and being able to view it, within a browser I hope that helps, reach out as needed. :)

While 1Password.com may look like a traditional website it doesn't work like a traditional website. We've tried to bring some level of clarity about this by referring to it as a 'web application' instead of a website. The servers that serve your web browser the 1Password.com web app do not have and never receive your Secret Key. The real simplified version of what happens is that your browser downloads the web app and runs it locally on your computer. The Secret Key is stored in your browser's local storage (sort of like a 'cookie', except cookies usually are transmitted to a server). Likewise the Emergency Kit is generated by the web app (running on your computer, not on the server) using data on your computer (not on the server).

So there is a record of the Secret Key... it is kept in every web browser and 1Password app that you sign in using. It may also be kept in iCloud Keychain if so configured. But it isn't kept on our servers.

• Jace
    Jace
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

That makes sense (I think). It's all sounds complicated to me, of course - for security reasons - it has to be complicated.

Thanks!

Jace

• :) :+1: Thanks for hanging in there. I appreciate the time you took to look over the documents.

This discussion has been closed.