Restoring backups on desktop and then sync'ing with Android app results in reverted restored backup

Options
411pass
411pass
Community Member

I ran into the following issue:

• I made a change to a secure note on desktop (Mac) and sync'ed to my phone over WLAN
  • Then decided to revert the desktop change from a backup (just restored the entire db from an earlier backup)
  • Sync'ed to my phone again over WLAN

I was expecting to see the restored backup on my phone but instead the restored backup got reverted on the desktop to what was on the phone.

This feels like a serious sync bug. Or what is the proper procedure to restore a backup and sync to phone over WLAN?

This is all local, no cloud service, using latest versions of Mac desktop and Android app.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Hi @411pass, sorry that you've had this trouble. WLAN sync is two way, so any changes made in the Android app will be synced back up to the Mac app. As the Secure Note on the Android app was most recently modified, this would explain why it was synced back to the Mac.

Next time you're recovering from a backup I'd recommend resetting the Android app by reinstalling it from Google Play before syncing it with the Mac. That will put it back to being a blank slate, and ensure that it's just taking from the Mac and not syncing anything back up.

Hope that helps :)

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

I consider this a major sync bug because this is not the reasonable expectation of anyone. Technically the most recent modification was on the desktop even though that was a backup restore. 1Password should know that and if it does not, then it's a deficiency in how you track changes.

• Thanks for your feedback @411pass. I'll share this with our team. That said, if you wanted to switch to a 1Password membership, you could take advantage of our item history feature, which allows you to restore previous versions of items much more easily.

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

I do not want the cloud version, my passwords do not belong in the cloud. Please stop pushing the cloud every chance you get.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.