Severe Problem Needing Resolution. Unable to view or open docx file.

Options
joisagile
joisagile
Community Member

I added a MS Word file (docx) to a Secure Note. When I attempt to view that document, 1Password did not provide a "Quick Look" nor did it give me the option of "Open With". Fortunately, I had not deleted the original, as it would have taken many hours to recreate it.

If I click on the arrow head next to Quick Look, then click on Quick Look in the dropdown box, then I get a window the option to open the file with TextEdit, but important formatting is lost.

I tried to view the same document using the IOS version of 1Password with the same result--unable to quick look or open.

It may have something to do with the complexity of the Word document as I could view and open a simpler docx file in 1Password. I suspect you may never know why this is a problem for some Word files and not others. But given this knowledge, I strongly recommend that you add the capability to restore documents to a folder outside 1Password. Think of it as a failsafe.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 70401002
OS Version: OS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @joisagile!

If you download the document to your local storage first, are you able to open it without issues?

• joisagile
    joisagile
    Community Member
    Options

I think I discovered the problem. However, I still recommend that 1Password contains a method of restoring 1Password Documents to local storage in their original condition.

I have a Word document in 1Password Documents that is attached to a Secure Note. This document needs to be updated frequently. Let me note that I have a fair number of Office files and PDFs stored in 1Password, not because they need to be encrypted, but 1Password has become a single place to go for important information.

Before the problem started as described in the original post I used this process to make changes to the Word file stored in 1Password.

1. Opened the the Secure Notes to locate the Word file.
    2. Clicked on the name of the Word file, The Document window was opened.
    3. Clicked on Click to View, then opened with MS Word.
    4. Changed the Word file and did a Save As so the Word file could be saved on local storage. I changed the name of the Word file so when the file was added back into the original Secure Note, I could differentiate the old file from the new one. Otherwise, the list of files in Documents doesn't have a way to differentiate between files with the same name. I wanted to delete the old file and keep the new. Since the old and new Word files now had different names, I could tell which file was the one to be deleted.
    5. The old Word file was move to the trash.
    6. Just to check, I attempted to open the new file, now in the Secure Note/Documents, but could not as my opening post explained. Foretunately, I still had the original, re-named file on local storage.

I think I found the problem. When I did Save-As to rename the Word file and save it on local storage, the extension, docx, was deleted while typing in the new name. Once the file was stored in 1Password, it could not be opened with MS Word because 1Password looks at the extension to decide what applications should be used to open the file. With no .docx appended to the file name, 1Password could not offer options for opening the file.

So here is the point of the whole story... You never know what dumb things users, like me, might do. Having a fail-safe to recover files from 1Password back on to local storage is a feature that can avoid a lot of heartache.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the detailed explanation, @joisagile. I'm glad to hear you were able to get things figured out. I'll speak with our development team and see if there are any improvements that might be appropriate on our end.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.