Compare contents of 1Password v6 backups

Options
TedM
TedM
Community Member

How to do I compare the contents of 2 1Password v6 backups? Is there any way besides doing restores and csv exports then comparing using Word/Excel? I made 10 additions between the two backups but a comparison shows over 200 record changes between the 2 backup exports (a month apart). I checked the trash and the list of additions and I made about 10 changes, not 200+. Looking at every change would be painful. Any help would be appreciated since I am now paying for 1Password Families but cannot upgrade to v7 until I verify that I did not lose any data in my last upgrade attempt.

1Password Version: 6.88
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2019
    Options

@TedM,

Export to CSV, and use the diff command line tool to compare the two files. It will show you the lines that differ. That should narrow the changes to particular entries, from which you can refine your comparison however you wish.

Put the two files on your Desktop, named as file1.csv and file2.csv, open Terminal and run:

cd ~/Desktop
     diff file1.csv file2.csv

• TedM
    TedM
    Community Member
    Options

I wish it was that easy. I am comparing 2 backups a month apart. For some reason, the order of the entries changes between the two backups. I eventually imported each tab-delimited file in Excel, sorted on multiple columns, and did some Excel-ery to compare the two files. Agilebits should really develop a simple tool to do this.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@TedM

You can sort the files and then do the diff to at least show you the differences w/out having to revert to Excel. Finding the entry becomes harder since each entry may span multiple lines.

I can't imagine such a tool being developed - in all the years I've been using 1Password and hanging out on the forums, this is the first post I recall asking for such a feature.

I'm curious - what's the motivation for comparing the 2 backups per month?

• TedM
    TedM
    Community Member
    Options

Because I tried migrating v6 to v7 3 months ago and lots many records in my 1Password database. Tech support could not figure out the problem (besides being very slow in responding to my emails) so I gave up for a few months. I am trying to migrate again and wanted to ensure that I lost no records the last time (did not have the free time until this break to figure this out).

I tried again to migrate to v7 and in v7 now I am missing any new/updated records from the last 6 months. Troubleshooting on my own. Grrr.

I sent them emails earlier with a few questions and again no response from them. Frustrating.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tedm:

I confirm that we have received both your emails. Unfortunately due to the holidays we are catching up now, but we will reply to your emails as soon as we can (we reply in the order we received them).

ref: VEI-69731-661

ref: QAT-94977-127

• TedM
    TedM
    Community Member
    Options

Diff does not help when the records in the tab/comment delimited file are not the same order in the 2 files to be compared, which is the case for some reason with my 2 1Password backups a month apart. If I am going to use Excel to sort the files, I can use a simple Excel function to compare them.

• Ben
    Options

Okay; sounds like a plan. Is there anything else we can help with at this point?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.