I'm completely confused by 1password after using for years

Options
ajflamb
ajflamb
Community Member
edited December 2019 in Families

I have had 1password for years. I don't recall the business model - ie whether I bought it or what - have been using for so long. My wife and I both used it but our kids are now old enough to need access. I clicked a trial for 1password families but I think it's now expired but I don't remember what it was for. We have 1password sharing a vault in a Dropbox folder. 1password is on MacOS, iOS (iPhones, iPads and tried on watch but couldn't;t make it work). Something has gone wrong and a dialog box asked me "Migrate to your 1Password account? Your local vault was moved to your 1password account on another device. Sign in to migrate this device to your account". What account has changed? What is an account and what is not an account. Is the version I've had for years not an account? What was it? What is it now? How does this work? I don't understand the paradigm of how it works the family version seems, what an account means in 2019 vs in 2015. Are they different somehow? It's pretty confusing frankly a bit stressy because we're prob got 700 passwords in there and no other copy anywhere.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:stuck with 1password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ajflamb! Welcome to the forum!

Since you created a Families account, I think the message refers to that. An account is paid with a subscription, but it covers up to 5 family members, while a software license covers one single person, so you would need several in your scenario.

If you want to share passwords with your family members, and you all want to use 1Password, I think a Families account is the easiest option.

• ajflamb
    ajflamb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ag-Ana. Thanks for response. So before subscriptions were introduced when we had software with a username and password shared by my wife and I with vault in shared Dropbox account - was that not a 1Password account?

It’s the migration piece that’s totally thrown me. There’s never been a local version. It’s always been in Dropbox. So...
    1. what’s migration referring to?
    2. How do my wife and I share passwords (we run a biz together) but our kids have different passwords if we use the family version?
    3. Presumably in family each member has a “vault”. Are they stored in Dropbox or somewhere else or locally or what?
    4. Is there an overview document or webpage somewhere that explains how individual subscription vs family subscription vs buying a single license between two people compare and work re how vaults work, where they’re stored, applicability of iCloud vs Dropbox vs anything else and between Mac vs iOS?

It feels like it used to be very simple and now is complex without clear delineation from a how it works perspective to set expectations. Ie don’t just want benefits. I want to know vault set up differences so I can explain to my kids and wife as we decide how to move forward.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ajflamb:

So before subscriptions were introduced when we had software with a username and password shared by my wife and I with vault in shared Dropbox account - was that not a 1Password account?

No, a 1Password account is one you create on 1Password.com. What you were using before was a 1Password software license, with data sync via Dropbox. No account existed on our website when you did things that way.

1. what’s migration referring to?

Moving your data from Dropbox to 1Password.com.

1. How do my wife and I share passwords (we run a biz together) but our kids have different passwords if we use the family version?

Every user in a 1Password Families account has their own Master Password. Inside the account, you can create several vaults and share them as you see fit. You are in control on who can access what, so for example you could have some vaults that only you and your wife can see, and others that are also shared with your kids.

1. Presumably in family each member has a “vault”. Are they stored in Dropbox or somewhere else or locally or what?

They are stored on 1Password.com. We built a sync service ourselves so we don't have to rely on third-party storage such as Dropbox.

1. Is there an overview document or webpage somewhere that explains how individual subscription vs family subscription vs buying a single license between two people compare and work re how vaults work, where they’re stored, applicability of iCloud vs Dropbox vs anything else and between Mac vs iOS?

We don't have a single document, but we have several ones focusing on the specific aspects. Here is a list of all the features you get with a subscription, which you would be missing with a standalone license. Here is a summary of the sync methods that are available to you. And the difference between an individual subscription vs a Families subscription is in the number of users included, and in the sharing capabilities.

In Summary, everything is included with memberships. All the devices you need are included for free, sync happens automatically, backups are taken care of straight away, everything you would expect is there. You get storage for secured documents, item history, watchtower, travel mode, ease of sharing with your family. It is just that much easier to manage since everything is built in.

• ajflamb
    ajflamb
    Community Member
    Options

This is really helpful especially "They are stored on 1Password.com. We built a sync service ourselves so we don't have to rely on third-party storage such as Dropbox." I didn't see anything on 1password that explained this is the difference. ie old 1password required a location for vaults but the new service includes a cloud based Secure Enclave. Now I get the difference between the two.

So I have set up a family account, but the instructions are not massively clear so I find myself now with duplicate data - instead of 700 records I now have 1,400. How do I remove the duplicates? How did one avoid creating them in the first place?

Also - how do I copy 700 into a new vault shared between my wife and I, rather than having a personal vault?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ajflamb:

I find myself now with duplicate data - instead of 700 records I now have 1,400. How do I remove the duplicates? How did one avoid creating them in the first place?

Is it possible that you left your old Primary vault in the app, instead of removing it after the migration? If you have two vaults inside 1Password, that would explain the duplicates.

Also - how do I copy 700 into a new vault shared between my wife and I, rather than having a personal vault?

You can move all your items from your Personal vault to your Shared vault, directly inside the app.

This discussion has been closed.