Suspected 1Password involvement in some MacOS WindowServer crashes

Options
rbudish
rbudish
Community Member

Over the last few weeks I've had a few crashes of my system. The crashes involve the system becoming totally unresponsive, with the exception of the mouse which can still move across the screen, but not interact with anything. Even cmd-option-escape does nothing. After 35-45 seconds, the screen goes white and I'm kicked out to the login screen. When I've found the crash logs in MacOS they've indicated that the WindowServer became unresponsive.

At first I thought it was a MacOS software or hardware issue. But as I thought about the crashes, it seemed like in several of them the crashes happened when I hit cmd-backslash, ie the 1Password autofill shortcut. I haven't yet been able to duplicate this behavior, so I can't say for sure if this is the issue, and most of the time cmd-backslash works just fine. But until it crashes again, I wanted to post on here to see if anyone else is aware of a possible link between MacOS WindowServer crashes and 1Password?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.1
Sync Type: 1Password for Families
Referrer: forum-search:windowserver crash

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rbudish!

I can't say I have heard this before. For completeness, you could try updating both 1Password and macOS to their latest versions however, just to exclude some possibilities. The latest version of 1Password is 7.4.1, and the latest version of macOS is 10.15.2. If this is a hardware issue, this won't help, but at least it can help take care of the updates so we can focus on something else.

• rbudish
    rbudish
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm... interesting that when I go to "Check for Updates" 1Password tells me that the software is currently the latest version. Is there a way I can force an update if my app is somehow unable to see/get the latest version?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rbudish:

For this time, you will have to download a new installer from the website (there was an issue with the updater that was fixed in the latest version).

This discussion has been closed.