This product is impossible and help is even worse

I have spent hours trying to use this product and find it impossible. The online support is not helping me at all. The help is written from the perspective of someone who already knows what they're doing and doesn't take into account "real life". Please tell me where I'm going wrong. My goal is to log into AmericanExpress.com and create a new strong password saved in 1password. It shouldn't be that hard.
Question 1: Do I first log into my account with my current password or do I pretend I don't know it and tell the site I don't know my password so I can go thru the reset steps?
Question 2: I start down the path of resetting my password on the AmEx website. Am I supposed to open 1Password and create a new entry manually entering all the information into 1Password then click Generate Password? Then Copy it?
Question 3: I've figured out that in all the sites where it asks you to re-enter the password, they don't let you copy it in so I have to reveal the password in 1Password and then try to type it exactly. Is this correct? Now my new password is saved in AmEx & 1Password.
Question 4: 1Password then asks me to update it? Am I supposed to? What would I be updating? I just entered the password I generated.
Question 5: Log out of AmEx. Try to log back in using the 1Password Generator. It doesn't work! Says there's a password mismatch. NOTE that I also copied the 1Password generated password into Safari and when I open it with Safari, it works. Why isn't the password from 1Password working? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Paste

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hmarney!

Question 1: Do I first log into my account with my current password or do I pretend I don't know it and tell the site I don't know my password so I can go thru the reset steps?

You can first login to your account normally. At that point, you can go through the website's change password procedure, without having to go through the forgot password process. Unless you forgot the password for that website, of course, in which case you should use the forgot password procedure instead.

Question 2: I start down the path of resetting my password on the AmEx website. Am I supposed to open 1Password and create a new entry manually entering all the information into 1Password then click Generate Password? Then Copy it?

That is one option, or you can use the browser extension to make it simpler. Here you can find the tutorial about it, including a video.

Question 3: I've figured out that in all the sites where it asks you to re-enter the password, they don't let you copy it in so I have to reveal the password in 1Password and then try to type it exactly. Is this correct? Now my new password is saved in AmEx & 1Password.

I have never personally encountered a website like this. Can you give us an example URL where this is happening?

Question 4: 1Password then asks me to update it? Am I supposed to? What would I be updating? I just entered the password I generated.

If 1Password is asking you to update a login in this case, it means that you already have a 1Password item in the app for that website. In this case, 1Password detects a change in your login information and asks you if you want to update the login information that you have in the app for that website. Typically, you would accept the offer, if you have just gone through the password change procedure.

Question 5: Log out of AmEx. Try to log back in using the 1Password Generator. It doesn't work! Says there's a password mismatch. NOTE that I also copied the 1Password generated password into Safari and when I open it with Safari, it works. Why isn't the password from 1Password working? What am I doing wrong?

Have you updated the local 1Password login item with the new password, after you have been prompted to do it in your Question 4?

This discussion has been closed.