Backing out a possible set mistake for my wife's account

obiscott
obiscott
Community Member
edited January 2020 in Families

Hello,
My question has been answered in part through a number of threads but for my own assurance I am selfishly asking again and hoping for direction on how to correct that is not based on my ability to piece together fragments supplied by others. .

My wife and I both had a stand alone (purchased from the website) version of 1Password. Last year I moved to a subscription based family membership and invited my wife to join via her Primary email - which was the same email she used for her stand alone version of 1Password. For whatever reason she never accepted the invite and it expired.

Two days ago I took another run at getting her set up as part of the family account (her stand alone version does not allow new passwords to be added) - but could not resend the invite to the original email for some reason. As a result I sent the invite to a secondary email that she used.

She used that email to create a new account and then I used my security key to add what I thought was the family account to her "account". Under this new account she now can see my primary vault and our shared vault but NOT her original vault which is still part of her account using her primary email.

Before I go any further and muck things up worse than I have I thought I would ask how best to fix things. My idea situation would be that her family account be based on her primary email and that her own vault be her private vault and that she would have access to our shared family vault. My private vault being visible to her is not a problem but it seems to suggest I have not done something right.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS X
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @obiscott

The fact that your wife can see your Private vault suggests that she has signed in using your email address, Secret Key, and Master Password, rather than her own. Each person has their own unique Secret Key. It isn't a shared value for the entire family. She would need to sign into the family membership as herself in order to access her own vaults.

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• obiscott
    obiscott
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

Ben - you are correct, my using my secret key was likely one of my first mistakes. I used the "bar code" from my account to set her up which confirms your assumption. Should I delete that account (the one she has set up using her secondary email) and start again using her primary - which is the email for her existing account? Assuming that is the case I did not see a "secret key" for her - would this have been sent to her when she set up her original account or as part of our attempt to add her to the family account -if it is the latter I did not see anything. (and thanks for your help!)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@obiscott:

Should I delete that account (the one she has set up using her secondary email) and start again using her primary - which is the email for her existing account?

Is she able to login to her 1Password account? Because if she does, she can then change her email from the My Profile section on the website.

If she doesn't have access to the account because she never stored the Emergency Kit, you can then delete her account and invite her again using the correct email.

• obiscott
    obiscott
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Thanks for you reply - sorry it has been busy and not able to get to this. I plan to delete her account as it is currently set up in the family plan and start again with the email that is used for her stand alone 1Password account - as per your suggestion. She does not have a secret key of her own. What I am not sure is whether I will need to use my Secret key once she has accepted or will I be setting up a separate secret key for her, or neither. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@obiscott:

She does not have a secret key of her own. What I am not sure is whether I will need to use my Secret key once she has accepted or will I be setting up a separate secret key for her, or neither.

You can invite her to your existing account. This way, she will get her own Secret Key when she will create an account from your invitation ;)

This discussion has been closed.