Transferring a license for 1PW 7 from one Mac Book to a new MacBook

Options
RonShoup
RonShoup
Community Member

My vault looks to have transferred ok but there is not autofill capability when I click on the website from the mini 1PW or from finder. Program keeps asking for my account. On previous Mac, there is a License line under the 1Password 7 menu (I am licensed!) it says and there is an updates icon under preferences. These items did not migrate to the new mac.
All I want to do is run locally on the new mac like I did before. What should I do

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: catalina 10.15.2
Sync Type: wlan

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RonShoup! Welcome to the forum!

Program keeps asking for my account. On previous Mac, there is a License line under the 1Password 7 menu (I am licensed!)

On this new MacBook, can you please open the 1Password app, click on the 1Password menu in the menu bar, and select the License... entry? What do you see there?

• RonShoup
    RonShoup
    Community Member
    Options

On New Mac, I see for the first 3 lines of menu: About 1Password, Preferences, Install Browser Extensions. On the older Mac, I see About 1Password, License, Preferences, Check for Updates, Install Browser Extensions. The rest of both menus is the same (Lock through Quit 1Password).
    On the old Mac, when I select License, it says: Your are licensed! 1Password for Mac, my name, Purchased Oct 18, 2018, This license can be used by me on as many Macs as needed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RonShoup:

Did you by chance download 1Password 7 on this new Mac from the Mac App Store, instead than from our website? That would explain why you cannot see the license menu or the updates menu on this new Mac, since all of those things are handled by the Mac App Store itself.

• RonShoup
    RonShoup
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded to 1PW7 using your website on the older Mac. I used the migration tool Apple led me through to transfer all the information from the old Mac to the new Mac. This included 1PW7.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RonShoup:

For confirmation, please open 1Password 7 on your new Mac, then click 1Password 7 in the menu bar, and select About 1Password in the menu that appears. Then click the Copy to Clipboard button and paste that section here.

• RonShoup
    RonShoup
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 7
    Version 7.4.1 (70401001)
    Mac App Store

The above is from the clipboard on the new mac, as requested.
    The old Mac, from which the migration tool did its thing, states

1 Password 7
    Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
    1 Password Store

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RonShoup:

Indeed, it seems that my suspicion was correct:

Version 7.4.1 (70401001)
    Mac App Store

As you can see, on your new Mac you are currently using the Mac App Store version of 1Password, not the 1Password Store version that you are using on your old Mac. That won't work for you if you purchased a license from us. You will have to download 1Password 7 from our website instead, like you did on your old Mac.

• RonShoup
    RonShoup
    Community Member
    Options

OK, we are making progress. I now have this version on the new Mac:
    1Password 7
    Version 7.4.1 (70401002)
    1Password Store

All seems to be working after a computer restart (Command + \ was not working at some point but now all ok). I wonder why the migration could not have just moved what I had instead of loading the app store version. Thank you for all your help!

Do you know how to get rid of the Safari popup that asks would you like to save this password (and I reply never...)?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RonShoup:

Do you know how to get rid of the Safari popup that asks would you like to save this password (and I reply never...)?

Do you mean for a specific website, or in general, for every website?

• RonShoup
    RonShoup
    Community Member
    Options

For every website.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020
    Options

@RonShoup:

If you want to completely disable this prompt everywhere, you can disable the feature altogether directly in the app then. Please open 1Password Preferences > Browsers tab and disable the option named Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them.

Notice that by doing this, the browser extension will never help you anymore when you update any password for any of your accounts, so please make sure to update your passwords manually directly in the app.

• RonShoup
    RonShoup
    Community Member
    Options

I want to keep the popup that comes from 1PW. The popup I was referring to is an Apple thing. I will do some more digging. It's a minor thing. Thanks for all your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RonShoup:

I think I see what you mean now. Make sure you have disabled the feature in Safari then, and leave the 1Password one in place ;)

This discussion has been closed.