Importing from KeePass and organizing entries

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Create new category?.

Comments

• bak
    bak
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I plan to migrate from KeePass (KP).
    KP implements "groups" that allows for hierarchical directory like structure. So far I have created much more than 100 groups, each group has 1 or more passwords / logins.
    Please

• Will I really loose those structures after import to 1P?
    • Will I really have to put all organized KP entries into flat 1P Categories? (Only "logins" 1P predefined category will fit )
    • Besides 1P tags, does 1P offer another means for organizing of entries ?
      Thank you, tomas
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bak! Welcome to the forum!

When you import data to 1Password, you need to assign it to a specific category. Categories are the basic groups inside 1Password (you can group them by tag to organize them, but a login is a login).

In addition to tags, as you have already mentioned, you can also use Favorites and multiple vaults, although tags seem to be a good solution for you, looking at the number of groups you currently have.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bak

Which exact version of KeePass are you using? There are various implementations commonly and generically referred to as Keepass.

• bak
    bak
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana.
    Yes, that is the point. I'll bet on 1P tags instead of KP folders. Thank you. Soon I'll try the mass migration using the csv and 1P online import assistant.. Many thanks and regards.
    @keepass ver is 2.39.1. However my understanding is that all KeePass versions implement groups (aka Folders). And this is what I am missing in the 1P. Well, in the 1P I'll made flat structure - visually much worse than in the KP - and will add tags to each record. (I am technician and have really huge number of records organized by my clients )

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bak,

The keepass2 converter in the converter suite can import the KeePass 2 groups as a tag hierarchy. If you use a CSV export, you will lose your groupings.

• bak
    bak
    Community Member
    Options

@ MrC
    I see !! Nice. I hurry up to get to know it. Many thanks...

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of MrC you're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.