Purge after merge: there were no duplicates recognized during import

Options
valiant66
valiant66
Community Member

Hi.

My vaults diverged about a year ago, and I let it slide, so I had one Primary vault in Dropbox, and one Primary vault on my laptop.

I decided I wanted to have all my passwords sync properly again to Dropbox.

On my laptop I exported my .pif file to my Downloads folder, about 1,700 items.

Then I changed the Primary vault to be the Dropbox one, and watched as the item count dropped to 1,000 items.

I then imported my .pif file, and watched as the item count rocketed up to 2,700 items.

Now at a certain point those databases were the same. Let's say for the sake of argument the split when I had about 800 items.

So I should have about 1,900 items, not 2,700 items.

How do I get rid of the duplicates, or, if I've done this wrong, how do I do it right? I still have backups of the database on my laptop, I'm not sure about backups of the Dropbox files though.

Thanks.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @valiant66!

On my laptop I exported my .pif file to my Downloads folder, about 1,700 items.
    Then I changed the Primary vault to be the Dropbox one, and watched as the item count dropped to 1,000 items.
    I then imported my .pif file, and watched as the item count rocketed up to 2,700 items.

Just to make sure we are on the same page: this sounds correct to me. If you have 1,000 items in your vault, and you add 1,700 from your exported file, you will end up with 2,700 items in that vault. Were you expecting a different result?

• valiant66
    valiant66
    Community Member
    Options

Absolutely.

Up until a year ago they were the same database, then they got separated. I added about 200 items to one of them and about 700 to the other (approximately for both). I thought duplicates would not be imported - there are probably 800 duplicates in the merged database.

I don't want to go through manually and compare 2700 items to find 800 duplicates. I'm hoping there's another way.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@valiant66:

Everything will be imported, but you can try cleaning up the duplicates afterwards, under the 1Password Help menu > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items. Make sure you select the correct vault before you do that, or that menu entry will be greyed out.

• valiant66
    valiant66
    Community Member
    Options

Ah.

I'm running version 6. I don't seem to have that command... Would Remove Redundant have a similar effect?

Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

It would not, I don't believe. If I recall correctly that is only for items in the Passwords category. We didn't introduce the Clean Up Duplicate Items feature until 1Password 7. As such to use it you'd need to upgrade.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.