Two issues with 1Password: won't unlock when connected to VPN, and memory leak when connected to VPN

Options
pjlewis
pjlewis
Community Member

I am currently having two issues with 1Password, both related to using 1Password when on VPN. Not sure if they're related, but I suspect they might be.

I regularly use ExpressVPN at home on my iMac. I've noticed that if 1Password is not already unlocked before I connect to the ExpressVPN VPN, I am unable to unlock 1Password through 1Password Mini. The 1Password app works fine, but 1P mini does not. As soon as I disconnect from the VPN, I am able to unlock again. I'm definitely typing the password correctly both on and off the VPN!

This happens across both Safari (v13.0.4 with 1P extension v7.3.2) and Firefox (72.0 with 1P extension v4.7.5.90 and 1Px extension v1.17.0).

I've also noticed that if I leave ExpressVPN connected for long periods of time (12-24 hours+), 1Password has a memory leak and consumes all the memory on my system, so I come back to a hung system where 1Password is using 42GB+ of RAM! (see attached screenshot).

1Password Version: 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.15.2
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• pjlewis
    pjlewis
    Community Member
    Options

Screenshot showing 1Password taking 42+GB RAM

• Ben
    Options

Wow. That's impressive. Sorry about that, @pjlewis. So that we can dig deeper please send us a process sample and a diagnostic report while the issue is occuring. To create a diagnostic report from your Mac, see these instructions:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

To generate the process sample:

1. Open the Activity Monitor application (you can use Spotlight to find it) and search for "1Password 7"
    2. Select 1Password 7 in the list and choose "Sample Process" from the Gear icon in the toolbar.
    3. When it is finished, save the sample to a file.

Attach the diagnostics and sample to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/110413/two-issues-with-1password-wont-unlock-when-connected-to-vpn-and-memory-leak-when-connected-to-vpn#latest
    • Your forum username: pjlewis

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• pjlewis
    pjlewis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. Sorry for the delayed reply, I was travelling the past week or so. Here’s the reference I got: [#XAY-34313-786]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your email in our system. In order to avoid replying to you in multiple places, I am going to close this forum discussion and someone will get back to you via email as soon as possible.

ref: XAY-34313-786

This discussion has been closed.