1password Chrome extension causes hanging/beachball in Catalina

Options
peterbrown
peterbrown
Community Member

I recently upgraded my MacBook pro to Catalina and noticed that Chrome was having some performance issues. When I open a new tab with cmd+T and start typing, it would hang with the beachball for 2-3 seconds before any text was entered in the address bar. I figured it was something with Chrome and Catalina and searched around trying to find a solution. One person recommended removing the 1password extension and that seems to have solved it for me too. I've tried both the latest extension as well the beta extension with the same results. I'm also seeing the same behavior on my iMac after upgrading to Catalina.

Any ideas for helping me troubleshoot it? I've uninstalled the extension for now, but that's obviously not a long term fix.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @peterbrown

I can't say that I've seen this myself, but one thing I might suggest would be trying the 1Password X extension instead.

1Password X

Please let us know if that works any better for you.

Ben

• peterbrown
    peterbrown
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, will give that a try. Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

No problem. :)

Ben

• peterbrown
    peterbrown
    Community Member
    Options

This is working great! I haven't noticed any lag or issues since switching.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear this :)

• peterbrown
    peterbrown
    Community Member
    Options

I started seeing the lag again yesterday on both computers. I still have no idea if it's related to 1password but I'm going to disable 1Password X for a week or two and see if it continues without it running. Will report back!

• @peterbrown

Please let us know how it goes.

I am using the beta, 1Password X, have you thought on giving it a try?
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/79610/how-to-install-1password-x-beta-in-chrome-and-firefox

• peterbrown
    peterbrown
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy I installed it, restarted chrome and when I opened a new tab, started typing, and I immediately got the beachball for a few seconds. I disabled it and tried the same Chrome restart test and did not happen this time. I will keep testing different scenarios and am happy to provide anything that might help get to the bottom of it.

• @peterbown

Thanks for getting back to me, and I am sorry it did not work. Do you have many extensions installed? Try disabling a few or all of them. Though sounds like you may have completed this already. If those extensions are not sensitive in nature, and you feel up to sharing them, I can try to replicate the issue on my end.

If you would rather discuss this off the forums, feel free to drop us a line using support+forum@1password.com

• peterbrown
    peterbrown
    Community Member
    Options

These are the extensions I currently have installed. I have not tried disabling any of the others, but will try that too.

I'm happy keeping the discussion public in case anyone else runs into this issue.

• peterbrown
    peterbrown
    Community Member
    Options

I removed all my extensions and still am seeing some lagging beachball issues. It was probably just a coincidence that removing 1password fixed it so I think it's safe to say something else is going on.

• @peterbrown Thanks for that update. I was working on your issue this morning and discussing some of the extensions in use with a colleague.

This discussion has been closed.