Best Practices for Local Sync Backup

Options
dcdesmet
dcdesmet
Community Member

Here is my goal / use case scenario. I am using Mac OS and iOS. I keep my master vault on the 1password server and my devices are in sync and that all works correctly. I want to manually make a periodic local backup to a local hard drive (or USB Flash card) for situations when I don't have access to the internet. I followed directions I found in this forum: 1. Open preferences, click on advanced and check "allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts." 2. Click on "Sync" tab. Sync "primary" vault with "folder", and then choose the local folder location where it writes 1Password.opvault file.

This doesn't appear to accomplish what I am trying to accomplish. "Primary" is an empty default vault with nothing in it. My 1Password cloud vault has all of my passwords in it. If I copy all of my passwords from my cloud vault to my "primary" local vault, I lose my cloud / device syncing.

Am I overthinking this? I want to use 1Password cloud vault and make local backups that I can rely on when I don't have access to the cloud, or something gets corrupted etc. What is the best way to accomplish this?

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.15.2
Sync Type: 1Password, Folder
Referrer: forum-search:sync

Comments

This discussion has been closed.