Change settings for changing passwords?

Options
jmassengale
jmassengale
Community Member
edited January 2020 in Mac

If you sign into a site and generate a new password while signed in, 1Password7 simultaneously generates a new login / file without a username, and if you "update existing," 1Password7 updates the new username-free Password file rather than the old login. Is there any way to change this in the settings?

In other words, does generating a new password have to generate a username-free file? It's a cumbersome process, in which you have to manually update the login you made and delete the file you don't want.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Change settings for changing passwords?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jmassengale!

There is no way to change this in the settings, but 1Password should automatically remove the Password item if you then save this item as a Login, so you only end up with one copy of the password. Is this not happening to you?

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think so. I see I have LOTS of these, seven under Godaddy for example.

Are you saying

1. When you change your password while signed into a site,
    2. save the new item as a log-in (which requires adding a username)

Wouldn't it be easier for the user if 1Password asked how to save the new item?

Speaking to Godaddy, they don't necessarily know all the urls, like myh.godaddy, email.godaddy, sso.godaddy, and productivity.godaddy. I know the first three, but I don't know the fourth, and neither does godaddy, so that password is effectively gone. If 1Password asked at the time, "How would you like to save this?" I would have easily known.

Also, in this case, sso.godaddy applies to as many different users as you have email accounts, and also applies to Workspace Email and Exchange Email.

Also, they get superseded over time. So trying to figure it out in retrospect can definitely be confusing.

• Ben
    Options

When were the items you're seeing created? Were they created recently, or are they older? We have made significant improvements here, but they aren't retroactive. If you already had password items that weren't converted to Login items the improvements we've made wouldn't have an effect on those items.

Wouldn't it be easier for the user if 1Password asked how to save the new item?

1Password is always going to push you to save a Login item, which is more detailed. If it doesn't have enough information to do that it'll save a Password item as a fallback.

If you used the password generator and can't find the password to sign in | 1Password

Speaking to Godaddy, they don't necessarily know all the urls, like myh.godaddy, email.godaddy, sso.godaddy, and productivity.godaddy. I know the first three, but I don't know the fourth, and neither does godaddy, so that password is effectively gone. If 1Password asked at the time, "How would you like to save this?" I would have easily known.

Also, in this case, sso.godaddy applies to as many different users as you have email accounts, and also applies to Workspace Email and Exchange Email.

I'm not sure this makes much difference from a practical perspective? Any Login saved with godaddy.com as the root domain (e.g. anything.godaddy.com) is going to show up on all login forms that are on that godaddy.com root domain.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.