"1Password can’t fill or save in your browser."

Options
thoran
thoran
Community Member
edited January 2020 in Mac

When starting 1Password\ 7.app I am in receipt of the following dialog: "1Password can’t fill or save in your browser. 1Password must be in the Applications folder to fill and save in your browser. To fix this issue, move 1Password to the Applications folder."

I have it located in ~/Applications. This is reasonable. 1Password is not.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @thoran

While I wish I could say you're right that this is a bug and we can fix it... This is not a bug. The codesigning APIs which we rely on to be sure your web browser hasn't been tampered with do not work with sandboxed applications unless those applications are in the root /Applications folder. It isn't an arbitrary restriction our team came up with. If the sandbox restrictions or the codesigning APIs ever change to allow a broader range of options we'd certainly be willing to look into accounting for that in 1Password, but I wouldn't anticipate that happening. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• thoran
    thoran
    Community Member
    Options

This is Apple's bug then. It has generally been considered good practice to install new apps into ~/Applications, or if they are to be available to others on the same computer it would probably be /Users/Shared/Applications, but way back in the day it was /Local/Apps if I remember correctly, so that one does not touch the system /Applications directory preventing stuff-ups, and also thereby making one's environment more portable. That restriction on Apple's part is clearly a false sense of security if I can install applications there myself. It is also clearly a bug because Apple encourages the installation of applications into ~/Applications because the folder icon automatically changes to the usual one to be expected of an Applications directory and applications stored there are automatically available. I'll have a chat with Apple, since you appear to be disinclined?... (P.S. I like the support app here. Is it custom/closed-source/in-house?)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thoran - I'm not sure Apple would agree with you that it qualifies as a bug, since they're the ones who wrote the OS, both then and now. But it's certainly something on which opinions can vary, and you're correct that Apple would be the place to raise those types of questions/issues. As Ben mentioned, if those APIs change in the future, we're certainly willing to consider changing how 1Password behaves in this regard. But as things stand now, there isn't much we're able to do.

Since you asked, we use Vanilla Forums as the software for these forums, with a little (not much) custom code of our own added on top, mostly for admin/moderator functions, so not user-facing. Glad you like it! :)

This discussion has been closed.