Receiving Check Your Email and Secret Key OS X

Options
arasgi00
arasgi00
Community Member

Today I changed my master pw and secret key at 1password.com. Then I went to my iMac and all devices to log in with new master pw. I found that on each of the IOS devices, the secret key had not been updated, so I entered the new secret key on each device. Everything is working fine on my IOS devices (I think), but on my iMac, when I tried to empty the trash, I got the message "Check Your Email and Secret Key - We were unable to verify your credentials. Please check and make sure your email address and Secret Key are correct." I don't know where (in the desktop app) to update the secret key. I know how to see it, but there is no option to update it.

I do have a logon entry for 1password (which I use to log in to 1password.com), and that has the correct secret key and master password. But I just can't find where I need to correct the secret key (and/or master password).

I am able to log into the desktop app by typing in my new master password. The problem seems to be with admin functions (like emptying trash).

One more question. . .how do I find my sync type? Everything is syncing, I just can't remember where I defined the sync type.

Thanks,

Gina

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: os x 10.15.2
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:Check Your Email and Secret Key osx

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arasgi00 - if you have a 1password.com account, then your data is being synced via the 1password.com servers automatically; there is no option to change this (which is why you don't see one! ;) ).

There is no way to change the Secret Key in your 1Password for Mac app directly, you have to wait for the reauthentication prompt, which should happen relatively soon after you change any of your credentials (email address, Master Password or Secret Key) for your 1password.com account. You will get a pop-up in your devices telling you that you need to sign in again; one of your credentials is incorrect. That's where you'll get the ability to make changes.

It's important to do this, because if you don't, you won't be locked out of your 1Password data on the Mac, but you will be in offline mode. This is how you're able to access your 1password.com account data inside 1Password for Mac even when you don't have an active internet connection: a local cache of the data. Whenever you (re)launch 1Password for Mac, the first thing it will do is try to sync with the server. If it can't because you don't have an active internet connection (or you didn't provide the proper credentials), your local cache of data will be decrypted and usable, but any changes/additions/deletions will NOT be synced with the server, until such time as you do have an active internet connection (and/or provide the proper credentials). And any changes, etc made on other devices on which you use your 1Password account will not be synced with 1Password on this Mac until such time as well.

If you're not getting this reauthentication prompt, you may need to quit Safari (if it is open), then Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and finally re-open 1Password 7 for Mac. That should force the reauthentication pop-up. Let me know how that works for you.

• arasgi00
    arasgi00
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. After submitting my questions, I found my notes on no need to sync. And this morning I received the prompt to update secret key on my IMac. Thanks again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arasgi00 - glad to hear you're all set now! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.