Migrate from individual (App Store subscription) to family

scottrish
scottrish
Community Member

I fairly recently upgraded to 1Password7 (individual sub via App Store) and started using iCloud vs WLAN server for syncing. The 'personal' vault is still listed on my Mac and iPhone but the 'primary' is the iCloud-sync'd one.

I would like to upgrade/migrate to a family subscription which I understand I have to do through a request to support+billing@1password.com. Before doing so however, a few questions:

1. I noticed that when I go to my.1password.com I see my 'personal' vault, I don't see the 'primary' (iCloud-sync'd). I assume this is as expected as you presumably can't access my iCloud-based vault. Should I just overwrite my 'personal' vault and replace it with the content of the 'primary' before cancelling my Apple subscription and switching over to a family subscription?

2. Should I continue to use iCloud for syncing across all devices or does that happen through 1password.com when using a family subscription.

3. When using iCloud for syncing is the only way to access my vault through one of the apps? Is it not possible to use the 'emergency kit' to access my vault stored on 1password.com via a browser?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.4.1 (70401001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @scottrish

Thanks for taking the time to write in. :) I'd be happy to help with those questions. To start: iCloud should be uninvolved in your 1Password data when using any sort of 1Password membership. Membership itself handles everything that iCloud does, and more.

I noticed that when I go to my.1password.com I see my 'personal' vault, I don't see the 'primary' (iCloud-sync'd). I assume this is as expected as you presumably can't access my iCloud-based vault. Should I just overwrite my 'personal' vault and replace it with the content of the 'primary' before cancelling my Apple subscription and switching over to a family subscription?

Yes. The Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vault to Account option in 1Password for Mac should help with this.

Should I continue to use iCloud for syncing across all devices or does that happen through 1password.com when using a family subscription.

You shouldn't have any 1Password data in iCloud when complete.

When using iCloud for syncing is the only way to access my vault through one of the apps? Is it not possible to use the 'emergency kit' to access my vault stored on 1password.com via a browser?

Correct. the Emergency Kit / 1Password.com is only applicable to 1Password membership, and not to iCloud.

Ben

• scottrish
    scottrish
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben
    Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vault to Account is disabled for me. Will that be enabled once I've migrated from the App Store subscription to a 1Password membership?

Scott.

• No, instead, you may need to first switch from the All Vaults view to the Personal vault within your account to enable the option. This can be done through the vault switcher at the top left of 1Password's main window (when unlocked).

Ben

• LawrenceC
    LawrenceC
    Community Member

Hi Ben
    I'm having the same issue of changing my use of 1Password from individual personal use to family. Even when I have my primary vault selected, Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vault to Account is disabled for me.
    What else can you suggest as a next step?
    Thanks

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2020

Hi @LawrenceC

If you are trying to move from standalone vaults to a 1Password membership then a vault within your account (e.g. Personal or Private) should be selected, rather than Primary, which is a standalone vault. If Primary is selected then the option will be unavailable.

If you're trying to move from one 1Password membership to another, rather than from standalone vaults to membership, then you'd need to move the items following this guide:

Move and copy items

Does that help?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.