Why can't I still use the 1password extension in Safari without paying more money?

Options
dbarson
dbarson
Community Member

The Safari extension has stopped working. It seems like you are discriminating against me because I use a Mac. All other web browsers still allow it, so why am I being forced into buying a new licence or a subscription? This is clearly just a way for you to get more money from me. If I use Chrome (which I don't like) then the extension is fine. You seem to be targeting me, just because I use Safari.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Safari extension not working

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hey @bdarson

Thanks for writing! It's not a matter of money, or any type of discrimination against you. Apple made a change to the Safari ecosystem, and unfortunately, this disallowed us from further offering the Safari Extension. In short, they stopped offering a way to distribute the extension. Our very own, Ben, has written a fantastic post about the situation. I encourage you to read more about it here - https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/106771/1password-6-in-safari#latest

Chrome and its other supported variants are not prone to this issue because they are not distributed by Apple. If, after reading the linked topic, you still have questions, feel free to write back, and we will do our best to answer them.

Here is an excerpt from the page.

We've been asked if it would be possible for us to provide the extension such that it could be installed regardless of the Safari Extension Gallery's status. Since Safari 12 does not allow .safariextz extensions to be installed from anywhere except the gallery, and Safari 13 does not allow such extensions to be installed from any source, if we were to provide the extension files, they could not be installed. As such this will not be a feasible solution.

• dbarson
    dbarson
    Community Member
    Options

But this doesn’t explain why it is supported if I buy 1Password 7. I am still using Safari and therefore the extension is available for Safari. I shouldn’t have to pay any more money to you for a product I have already purchased. 1Password 7 doesn’t offer me anything extra that I would find useful. You say Apple don’t allow you to add the extensions, which I find hard to believe since they have plenty of extensions in the App Store that I can download anytime. If you can’t provide the extension, then as a loyal customer, I would have thought you would upgrade my version free of charge so that I can continue to use it as the system I purchased. It’s really not my fault that your extension no longer works. I have already paid a lot for 1Password and shouldn’t be expected to buy it again.

• Ben
    Options

@dbarson

1Password 7 includes a new "Safari App Extension" extension which we had to develop in order to support Safari 13. So I'm not sure it is fair to say it doesn't include anything extra that you'd find useful. It includes the ability to use Safari, which is something we had to spend the time developing and testing. :)

Ben

• dbarson
    dbarson
    Community Member
    Options

But it doesn’t offer anything new. It only offers the same as I have already bought, which is 1Password with the extension. I shouldn’t have to buy the same product that I have previously purchased. I know it’s not, but I feel like this is a money making scam. I have always lived 1Password, but this has now made me think twice and I now may need to look elsewhere. I assume it is possible to export my data into a different app? I totally refuse to buy the same product twice, especially as I do t need the “updated” version.

• Ben
    Options

You bought 1Password 6 with a Safari 12 extension. Now you're using Safari 13, which requires a different extension (and thus 1Password 7).

We want customers to use 1Password because they're happy with what we offer, not because they feel locked in, so yes: we offer a robust export option. I would suggest this is something you should look for in a password management solution if you decide to shop around.

How to export data from 1Password

I hope ultimately you'll choose to move forward with 1Password, but I wish you the best of luck either way.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.