VoiceOver issues

Ángel Domínguez
Ángel Domínguez
Community Member
Greetings,

I have encountered the following issues with VoiceOver enabled on an iPhone 5 (Spanish language).

1. The tabs at the bottom on the screen read like “Favoritos - Pestaña - 1 de 5” (Favorites - Tab - 1 of 5), “Categorías - Pestaña - 2 de 5”, and so on. Now, there is no tab 5, and I’m guessing the latest tab is the Web Mode button on the bottom right. But I think the user will probably expect a 5th tab, and this will cause confusion. So I guess you could either make that Web Mode the 5th tab, or label the other tabs so that VoiceOver reads “1 of 4”, “2 of 4”, etc.

2. When you’re viewing credit card details, hidden labels (such as verification number) cannot be read by VoiceOver. In fact, it reads the label in Spanish (with the Spanish voice) and the rest is read with the US English voice, I think, and it just repeats a word several times. I just cannot make out what word is that, but it sounds like “money-money-money-money-money-money-money-money-money” (I’m sure that’s not what it says).

3. There are some cases where “1Password“, the name of the app, is read by VoiceOver. But in Spanish, it pronounces it as “uno pasuerd”, which doesn’t sound at all like the correct English pronunciation of “one password”. I’ve encountered this while translating other apps with English names, and the solution was to use a substitute text that the local version of VoiceOver would read more or less like the English pronunciation. In this case, I’ve played around a bit with several phonetic versions of the app name, and “uampásguor” sounds reasonably simliar, although a Spanish speech engine cannot imitate the nuances of the English speech. Unless there’s a way to feed VoiceOver with an accurate phonetic spelling of the word.

I’ve found many yet-to-be-translated labels and buttons, but I guess those will work fine with VoiceOver once the translation is added.
That’s all for now!

Ángel.

Comments

• Hi [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ángel,[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thank you for your great feedback. We will take a look at the VoiceOver issues that you raised... keep them coming :-) [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Your comment on the tabs at the bottom of the screen is an interesting one for sure. You are correct that the "Switch to Web Mode" button is what is confusing the VoiceOver tab count. I could change the Accessibility label to say "Switch to Web Mode, tab 5 of 5", however iOS will still indicate that to be a button. Would that be helpful?[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Spanish translation round 2 is still in progress so I hope we can provide the updated labels and buttons shortly.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thank-you[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Jeff[/font]
  • Ángel Domínguez
    Ángel Domínguez
    Community Member

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I could change the Accessibility label to say "Switch to Web Mode, tab 5 of 5", however iOS will still indicate that to be a button. Would that be helpful?[/font]

Hi Jeff, I think coherence is the priority in this case, and I agree that what you propose would be the optimal solution. Even if the Web Mode button is not an actual tab, the user will know that it is the last item in the bottom bar.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Spanish translation round 2 is still in progress so I hope we can provide the updated labels and buttons shortly.[/font]

Do you know which version number it will have? I’ve found some issues with the Spanish translation, but would rather wait for this 2nd round and check again before reporting them.

Regards from Spain,

Ángel.
  • MikeT
    edited November 2012
    Hi [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ángel,[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We do not know yet when it is coming. As soon as we do, we'll update this topic. The issue is that the translation service is working on multiple languages right now. In the future, we hope to take in your suggestions with a bigger translation project that we want to work on. [/font]
This discussion has been closed.