Strange behavior on 1PW7

Options
fbutter
fbutter
Community Member

Hello,

I found a strange behavior on two of my Macs yesterday. I'm using 1PW for more than 10 years and always downloaded it from your website and activated the license. I never used the Appstore version.
"About" showed, that a version 7.3.2 was installed. "License" showed correctly "1Pasword Membership, usable on as many Macs as needed". I got an Info that I should upgrade to 7.4.1 - but this seemed to come from App Store (?). I followed (closing 1PW first) and it showed that I updated correctly - but the version after that was still 7.3.2. So I downloaded a fresh copy from your website and installed this over it - seemed to work now. Still, there is a strange feeling about what happened...
1. Why did I receive the App Store update, when it was not installed from App Store?
2. Why did the update say it finished properly, but did leave the old version in place?
3. Why didn't I receive the direct update from the App, even when I activated looking for updates in the app manually?

I'm just afraid that something unknown messed with the app and prevented a proper update - just as malware would do it.

Thank you and best regards,
Frank

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: How I can check for Safari?
OS Version: macOS 10.15.2
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:strange behavior

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fbutter!

1. Why did I receive the App Store update, when it was not installed from App Store?
    2. Why did the update say it finished properly, but did leave the old version in place?

If you open the Applications folder on your Mac, how many copies of the 1Password app do you see there?

1. Why didn't I receive the direct update from the App, even when I activated looking for updates in the app manually?

There was a bug in version 7.3.2 of the app that required a manual upgrade by downloading version 7.4.1 from our website, as you correctly did. The built-in updater would not work in certain cases, and you needed a fresh install to upgrade. This was also fixed in the latest version of the app, so future upgrade will work automatically again.

This discussion has been closed.