In Secure Notes, strings are replaced with what 1P thinks they should be instead of what user wants

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

While entering a Secure Note, I attempted to enter a string of dash characters. The editor forces these into long dashes. Why would this be a feature? When editors do such things, there is normally a setting to prevent this. Is there such a setting in 1P?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@jasimon9 It's a Global text-editing choice. To change it, go to Apple Menu-->System Preferences-->Keyboard-->Text

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thanks for pointing this out.

In most contexts, (think text editing) the smart quotes are fine. But in other contexts (think "coding") such as the case in point, they are not wanted. So the global choice makes this a "worst of both worlds" situation, where either choice has drawbacks. Too bad.

Will probably just disable it as you suggest, as the annoyance of that option is less than the reverse.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vplewis: Thank you for the suggestion! :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasimon9:

But in other contexts (think "coding") such as the case in point, they are not wanted.

I don't think we imagined Secure Notes to be used for coding, but we can definitely keep your feedback into consideration moving forward :)

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

I just used "coding" as a generic term. Not really coding. But entering "codes" or code-like things that you don't want to be "smartly" changed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got it :+1:

This discussion has been closed.