Transition from Keychain

I had hoped I could use keychain to fill in Safari passwords and then 1Password would then pop up and ask me if I wanted to create a login item. But if I fill with keychain, 1pw does not pop up. It only pops up and asks about creating a login if I type in user name and pw. Am I missing something? I Have had the same experience in MacOS Catalina and on iPad. I just got 1pw yesterday so both up to date.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @gregbass ,
    On your Mac, 1Password should pop up and ask if you'd like to save it even if you autofill with Safari. Can you please try it on several different websites? I'm almost positive I have done this before :)

In case specific websites won't make 1Password pop up and ask you, then you can manually record that website's login page: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/

I suggest you do that on your Mac and let it sync to your iPad rather than trying to save the logins on your iPad. It is much more convenient to do it on the Mac.

• gregbass
    gregbass
    Community Member

Hi Yaron, Thanks for trying to help. Yes, I have been trying to get set up with all my passwords from my MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.2, Safari 13.04, and 1Password 7.4.1

I have tried about 10 websites, some very secure financial sites and some just shopping sites. 1PW has never popped up when I use Safari autofill and I always have to click the keyhole icon next to the Safari URL window and save the login manually. That is disappointing and frustrating (nothing personal!). Can you think of anything else I can try to do or configure?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @gregbass ,
    Thanks for the update. I can only imagine how frustrating it is!

Please check the following:
    1. Open and unlock the 1Password 7 desktop app.
    2. Click the "1Password" menu on the top left next to the Apple logo and select "Preferences".
    3. In the new preferences window that pops up, click the "Browsers" tab and make sure all features there are enabled, especially the "Detect new usernames and passwords..." one.

Let me know how it goes.

• gregbass
    gregbass
    Community Member

Thanks again Yaron! I had checked that earlier, but I just did it again to confirm. All three functions were enabled. I still never have seen 1PW ask me if I want to save a new login or password when the Mac Keychain autofills.

Any other ideas?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gregbass:

I am not sure if you have tried this already, but what happens if you temporarily disable the Safari password manager and try to login to a website? Does the 1Password popup appear in that case?

• gregbass
    gregbass
    Community Member

Hi! Thanks for trying to help. Yes, 1PW pops up if I type in a username or password manually but it does not pop up if I use the Safari/Keychain auto fill. So the only way we can transition is by looking up our passwords in Safari preferences/passwords and then typing them in, then saving to a new 1PW login item. Is that a clearer description of my issue?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@gregbass

Do you have many passwords in Safari?

• gregbass
    gregbass
    Community Member

Yes, many year's worth, and there's both my wife and me. Maybe 75 to 100 wee'd like to transition to 1 Password. Why do you ask?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2020

@gregbass ,

On your Desktop system synced with iCloud Keychain, you might try the GetSafari12Password script in the converter suite .

At the download location, see the screen video ConvertSafariPasswords.mp4 under Extra Help > Videos.

There will be some macOS permissions that need to be enabled to allow the script to run. One is System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Accessibility where you have to add Script Editor to the list on the right.

• gregbass
    gregbass
    Community Member

Great post MRC! I didnt know about the converter suite and it looks very promising. I will give it a shot.

Greg

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Let us know how it went @gregbass !
    And thank you @MrC :)

• gregbass
    gregbass
    Community Member

Thanks but I reviewed MRC’s process and it’s over my head. We will just need to create logins manually it seems. I must say I’m surprised because 1PW seems to be such a great product otherwise.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @gregbass
    Sorry to hear that. I suggest you log into the websites you need manually once, and let 1Password record that login page directly. It will work better than creating these logins one by one in the 1Password app since recording the actual page will allow 1Password to autofill better.

We're here if you need further assistance with this.

This discussion has been closed.