Chrome 1 password x asking for different master password than 1 password 7 desktop

Options

We are having an issue where our chrome extension (1password x) is set to use a master password different from the desktop version (1 password 7). We also noticed that when we login to our https://my.1password.com - the vaults that show up online don't match the vaults in the desktop version in preferences.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Chrome, Safari
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1 password account
Referrer: forum-search:two different master passwords

Comments

• rcrivera
    rcrivera
    Community Member
    Options

screenshot of 1 password 7 preferences

screenshot of account online

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rcrivera! Thanks for getting in touch. I'm happy to clear things up for you.

1Password for Mac will use the Master Password you set for your standalone vault – which is the Primary vault in your screenshot. The Primary vault is a local vault on your computer, and it isn't a part of your 1Password.com account. That's why you're not seeing it in your account on my.1password.com, and that's also why your Master Passwords are different between 1Password X (your account's Master Password) and 1Password for Mac (your standalone/local vault's Master Password).

To end this confusion once and for all, you can delete your Primary vault in 1Password for Mac. Of course, I'd double check to make sure you don't have anything stored in that vault that you may need in the future. It looks like it's not included in All Vaults based on your screenshot, so there's a chance the data in that vault is outdated. Regardless, if you do find anything important inside your Primary vault, you can move the items to one of the vaults within your account (or create a new vault within your account). If you need any help moving your items, check out this support article. And of course, I'll be here if you have any questions along the way.

Once you don't have any items left in your Primary vault or you're fine with the items in there being trashed, it's time to delete it. Here's how to not only delete the Primary vault, but ensure that another one doesn't get created in the future and cause another round of confusion:

In the 1Password for Mac desktop app
    1. Open Preferences (Command + ,)
    2. Select Advanced
    3. Uncheck Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts
    4. Enter your Master Password for your Primary vault
    5. Click Delete Items and Vault

• rcrivera
    rcrivera
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Thanks for the reply. Can you explain why my Main Vault and Work vault doesn't show up online? https://my.1password.com/

• rcrivera
    rcrivera
    Community Member
    Options

***My Main Vault & Work vault on the desktop is the most updated version not the one in my https://my.1password.com/ account

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rcrivera – Of course. I believe there was a previous issue in 1Password for Mac that allowed you to rename your Private vault. That was a bug in 1Password for Mac, so it didn't carry over to the 1Password web app. That said, the items between your Private vault and your Main Vault should be the exact same. Are you noticing any discrepancies between the two?

• rcrivera
    rcrivera
    Community Member
    Options

ok gotcha. Yes - I remember renaming the private vault at one point. I did try confirm that there are no discrepancies on the number of items inside the private = main vault and Work = work. I will go ahead and delete the primary vault to stop the confusion. Last questin - can I still rename my main vault back to private?

• rcrivera
    rcrivera
    Community Member
    Options

Oh and how do I set a password for a particular vault (Work)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rcrivera:

Yes, you can rename your vault again if you prefer.

Oh and how do I set a password for a particular vault (Work)

You cannot set a different password for a different vault: all vaults inside your 1Password account are unlocked with your Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.