Dutch translation

Werner85
Werner85
Community Member
Hello,

I changed my iPhone language back to Dutch (always use my iPhone and other hardware in English) to check 1Password for translation mistakes, but I soon noticed that almost nothing has been translated to Dutch yet.
So instead of me making screenshots of every possible screen and typing the translation next to it, can I ask you a favour?

Can you post some sort of "Translation Kit"? With just the plain English text strings and in some cases a screenshot to clarify the placement of the text. And of course the maximum allowed length of the text.
This will speed things up for sure.

Thanks!

Comments

• Probably a 'pot' file will do just fine, working in a pot translation would speed up things (we could share the effort)

Also see my other post, can you double-check with your install -> do some of the 'licenses' and/or 'mail-accounts' come up Dutch?
  • jhogervorst
    jhogervorst
    Community Member
    edited November 2012
    I'd be happy to help translating to Dutch.
  • Well, between the 3 of us (and possibly more) that would be a quick one, right :)
  • Hi there,

Just starting using the beta aswel. Happy to help to translate aswell ofc :)
  • Count me in!
  • mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    IMHO app localization is best done by one person with experience on all style, grammar, implementation of standard rules and choice of the right words...
  • Hi guys,

We definitely would love to have your help in translating 1Password in Dutch. We do want to offer it in Dutch but it is likely that it may not be ready in time for the launch.

The problem is that because we're changing a lot of things every day as the app is still very young, the text can also change and that can quickly make the translations outdated and more confusing. Right now, our current translations in a few languages are done by a professional service in hopes to have some languages available and after we release 1Password 4, we plan to expand our translations project, so that we can ask you guys to help us translate 1Password.

I did add you guys to our list, so as soon as we're ready, we'll update this topic and get started on this.

I'm sorry that we don't have it in Dutch, I think Dutch was the most popular request today!
  • mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    @Mike: Holland rules :D
  • guid
    guid
    Community Member
    Hi,
    wonderful :)
  • Werner85
    Werner85
    Community Member
    mgshoutman wrote:

IMHO app localization is best done by one person with experience on all style, grammar, implementation of standard rules and choice of the right words...

I think that's exactly what MikeT and his team will do. Let one person do the Translation and then let multiple other people verify and correct the translation.

@MikeT: I will be awaiting further instructions then :)
  • Froggle
    Froggle
    Community Member
    lexpostma wrote:

Count me in!

Me too. (y)
  • Hi guys,

I'm almost afraid to tell you because I fear the Dutch are going to overwhelm the poor servers getting 1Password perfected in Dutch.

Good news, you can now edit the strings directly and work with each other because you can communicate in the translations project that we just opened up.

Please visit this topic to learn more and show the world that Holland rocks!!!!
  • Looks like the translation is complete on https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/onepassword-ios/language/nl/
    but I got added, so I'll keep watching it :)
  • Hi guys,

Yes, please give huge thanks to jhogervorst here for translating the first language that reached 100% on our project and within 12 hours. It just proves that Holland's the best customers for 1Password. :)

We'll try to get you guys a new build as soon as possible with the full Dutch translation, so you can see it in the app and suggest more improvements.

While the translations are at 100%, please do go through them as there may be some contextual issues where the terms might be accurate but might not make sense depending on where it is, plus there might be shorter terms that can be used instead to avoid taking up too much space.
  • matthijsvdr
    matthijsvdr
    Community Member
    For some reason everything always gets translates to Dutch super fast, 1p/plex/twitter ect :P
  • Hi guys,

Just want to give you a quick preview:

dutch.png
  • jhogervorst
    jhogervorst
    Community Member
    Awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on a new beta build so I can review all translated strings in context. (I already see something that should be changed because of the context.)
  • guid
    guid
    Community Member
    @jhogervorst
    thanks for the translation. I can not wait.
  • The Dutch translation is now available in beta 24 that was just released a few minutes ago. Enjoy!
  • Great news Mike!
  • guid
    guid
    Community Member
    edited November 2012
    Thanks,

(y)
  • You're welcome.

Please let me know if there are any weird issues you're seeing and if everything's looking good. I know that some strings have been updated for Dutch since the beta with the initial Dutch translation was released, we'll add it to the app as soon as we can.

Just to set the expectations, any updates you make to the translations may show up in the app by a couple of days, so do not expect them to show up right in the next update. I know you guys work super fast, so we're still catching up to you! ]:)
  • Werner85
    Werner85
    Community Member
    I see some of you guys changed a lot of lowercase words to uppercase in the Dutch translation.
    AgileBits kept all words in the TableViews lowercase with an eye on the "design and ui".

As you can see in the screenshot below: Words like "username", "password", "website" and "notes" should remain lowercase. At the moment "username" is translated into "Gebruikersnaam" instead of "gebruikersnaam".

Image%202012.11.24%201:01:02%20PM.png

This mistake also occurs in other parts of the translation. In future translations (for translators and AgileBits): please keep character case in mind and (don't know if it's possible on Transifex) add a note about maximum string length.

I will also create an account and start fixing the problems mentioned above.
  • mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    @Werner, I do not agree. AgileBits are inconsistent in use of lower vs. uppercase. When you open 1Password 4, the first entry field is "Master Password" and your examples are entry fields too.

@Translators: the correct translations in Categories should be all plural: E-mailaccount -> E-Mailaccounts.

"Mooie iconen" for "Rich Icons" seems a bit awkward but it is difficult to find an alternative :)
  • Hi guys,

We made a change in an update, I believe beta 28, where we've switched all field names to lowercase, so we will be adapting that style for now on. The "Master Password" on the lock screen is not related, it's not a field name, it's a placeholder for the input field.

However, you guys won't notice it in previous items, only in the new items.

Categories should be plural. I did file a bug report about the "1 items" instead of "1 item" in the categories view, I know there aren't strings in the project yet. We'll try to fix that as soon as possible.

Thanks!
  • mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    @Mike IMHO this sudden change of [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]switching all field names to lowercase, is an example of inconsistency in style. Well never mind [/font] :wacko:

please don't forget to change [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] E-mailaccount -> E-Mailaccounts. [/font]
  • Hi,

I'm not sure why you'd consider it an example of inconsistency, we had both upper case/lower case fields name and now it's all one lowercase to ensure the consistency.

The plural issue has been fixed already but it might not show up in 1Password until a few more updates. Is it normal that in Holland that emails are spelled "e-mail" and not "email"?

Here's what it shows for Dutch:

2012-11-26_17-54-33-1.png
  • mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    @Mike: [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]correct spelling is:[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] "e-mail/E-mail" and not "Email/email"[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As used in above strings:[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]E-mailaccount[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]E-mailaccounts[/font]
    E-Mailaccountinformatie
  • Hi,

It's already spelled like that for Dutch only.
  • jhogervorst
    jhogervorst
    Community Member
    I quickly reviewed all Dutch translated strings and all capitalization issues are fixed.

(I still found many inconsistencies, like "phone" vs "phone number", "email" vs "email address" and many more examples like that.)
This discussion has been closed.