Single Trial to Paid Family?

ckone0814
ckone0814
Community Member

Bagged LastPass and signed up for A 1Pass 30 day single user trail. I've loaded all my private items, and am pleased with the way 1Pass works for me. Next step is to convert to a paid Family subscription.

How is the best way to do that and not lose any data?

Then I can invite my wife? And she creates her private private vault and add her items?

We can also have a shared vault?

Can I also invite my adult kids (separate address) under the Family subscription?

Sorry for newbie questions and thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @ckone0814

signed up for A 1Pass 30 day single user trail. I've loaded all my private items, and am pleased with the way 1Pass works for me.

It's great to hear you're pleased with the service. It's always an excellent way to start the morning when you hear things like this. :)

Next step is to convert to a paid Family subscription.

How is the best way to do that and not lose any data?

This link should get you going. https://support.1password.com/change-account-type/

It's a straight forward process, and you should have no issues with data loss. I tend to think of changing to a family account as more of individual accounts linked together.

Then I can invite my wife? And she creates her private vault and add her items?

Yes, you can, please be aware that when you invite her, she has her own Master Password and her own Secret Key, as well as an Emergency Kit. When she goes to sign in to the app on her devices, she will be using her account information. * The same items above would apply to your question below, about your adult kids.

We can also have a shared vault?

A shared vault is part of the Family Subscription. https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/

Can I also invite my adult kids (separate address) under the Family subscription?

Yes, you can do that.

Sorry for newbie questions and thanks!

We're here to help, so no apologies needed. Please reach out if you have further questions.

A parting thought for you. I would recommend that you set up your wife and or possibly your adult kids to assist with account recovery should that need ever arise. https://support.1password.com/recovery/ Its never too early to think about forgotten passwords or other inevitable issues.

• ckone0814
    ckone0814
    Community Member

Thanks! My wife has her cell phone which obviously would be ok with her own vault but then does some of her private stuff and some shared on our den Windows pc (w Chrome extension). With the different Master Password etc that seems like a conflict that might be a pain to navigate?

• @ckone0814

It sounds as if you are sharing a single OS login, and typically you would use one OS login for you and one her. She would then have access to her browser, email, and 1Password, of course. :) You would have access to those for your OS login. From a personal perspective, separating my login from that of my wife, was probably one of the best things we ever did. I was right here with you, as a user of 1Password when I/we made that change. It's a change, but in the long run, I think you may appreciate the benefits just as I did. I am OCD with how my data is stored and organized, the Mrs not so much, by using separate OS accounts made for a happy wife and a happy life.

Windows supports Fast User Switching, much like macOS in my case, and that made the transition so much easier.

• ckone0814
    ckone0814
    Community Member

If we don't care to hide passwords from each other can I just subscribe to a non-family, single use, then "section off" hers, mine, common?

• ckone0814
    ckone0814
    Community Member

Makes sense. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ckone0814:

If we don't care to hide passwords from each other can I just subscribe to a non-family, single use, then "section off" hers, mine, common?

If I understand your question, you cannot do this: if you use an Individual account, you cannot separate data. Every user who logs in to that account will be able to see everything, because from the point of view of 1Password, you would be the same person.

• ckone0814
    ckone0814
    Community Member

Ok, gotcha.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.