Where are secret keys for invited Family Members?

dozza
dozza
Community Member

I've just upgraded to family membership after using the standalone 2012 app store version with Dropbox integration.

Managed the upgrade and migration OK and have now organized passwords into vaults for members of the family and I've invited them to the membership.

Two of them have accepted invite via their phones and set/updated their master passwords accordingly and can see their assigned vaults and passwords on their mobile devices. All good so far.

I've now set up 1Password 7 on our iMac and configured the 1PW membership as the Family Organiser under my mac user account. I've then gone into children's mac user account on the same iMac to configure their 1PW family invited/accepted membership, browser extensions etc. I'm guided to (either with 1PW 7 for Mac) or browser to login at https://my.1password.com/signin so i enter their email and the master password they set, but it's also asking for their secret key. When I enter the secret key I was given when setting up the new family subscription I am displayed an alert that the key provided is incorrect and that "The secret key for this email address should start A3-W9T246 - We were unable to verify your credentials"

So how do i discover the separate secret keys for invited family members? As the organizer, where are these stored?

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OSX 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dozza

Secret Keys are unique to each individual and aren't shared with anyone else. Each person's Secret Key would've been shown to them when creating their account, and if signing up via a web browser would've also been downloaded as part of an Emergency Kit. You may find their Secret Keys in their respective Emergency Kits in your downloads folder if you did the signup process for them.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• dozza
    dozza
    Community Member

Ben

I signed up for 1PW in 2012 and have just upgraded it to a Family Membership. I have the/my secret key as it's my account as the family organiser. I'm now trying to configure 1PW on their iMac user accounts. They haven't set up 1PW account, i've simply invited them to the family membership. And i've been sitting with them when they accept the invite via email on the phones. They then set their master password, and it sets up 1PW on their phone OK.

But when I try to set up 1PW 7 on their iMac user accounts they are asked for their secret key which they/I know nothing about. Where do they find theirs?

• @dozza

If they signed up using the 1Password for iOS app then the Secret Key would be in the 1Password for iOS app. If they use the same Apple ID on both the iOS device as well as the Mac and iCloud Keychain is turned on then those details would sync via iCloud as well. You may need to have them sign in to 1Password for iOS to retrieve their respective Secret Keys:

https://support.1password.com/secret-key/#find-your-secret-key-in-the-1password-apps

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• dozza
    dozza
    Community Member

OK, I just did it with final child and I saw the key after shed added her master password. But we're not told to record it at that point. But i did and had to transfer it to her iMac account, which then allowed me to set up 1PW 7 on her mac user account.

I'll try with the other child tomorrow by accessing his ios app.

• Sounds good. :+1:

Ben

• dozza
    dozza
    Community Member

OK. I can see now where you can retrieve the secret key within each invited users iOS 1PW App > Settings > 1PW Accounts > Your Account(s) > Secret Key

• :+1: Let us know if you have additional questions.

This discussion has been closed.