[Suggestion] Swipe to delete folder

jhogervorst
jhogervorst
Community Member
If you swipe from left to right over an item (like a login) in a table view, a few buttons are shown which enable you to delete the item, make it a favorite, open it in the in-app browser or copy it to your pasteboard.

Standard iOS behavior is that you can swipe over a cell to reveal a delete button. Wouldn't it be good to enable this for folders? Currently nothing happens when swiping over a folder cell.

This applies to both iPhone and iPad.

1P4-folder-delete.png

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2012
    Totally agree this really caused me some confusion yesterday trying to delete a folder.

At the time I leaned more to making sure you don't accidentally delete a folder.

Personally I would prefer the standard swipe to delete.
  • Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    edited November 2012
    Yes, +1 for me too. It would add some consistency within the app and across most of the OS.
  • jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    I think it also needs to be more clear to the end user what actually happens when deleting a folder. Due to the use of the "Folder" nomenclature, I think many users would assume that this would delete everything in the folder, which of course isn't the case.
  • Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member

I think it also needs to be more clear to the end user what actually happens when deleting a folder. Due to the use of the "Folder" nomenclature, I think many users would assume that this would delete everything in the folder, which of course isn't the case.

Good point and I agree. Either way, you can still currently delete a folder through the edit button. So it seems like a swipe is not that much different for the end result.
  • Hi, guys!

We do plan to improve Folders, there are some inconsistencies that we're working on.

Right now, you do have to press the Edit button to delete a folder and jhollington is correct, items are not deleted in the folders. They're merely disassociated from the folder, subfolders are also gone.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
  • jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    I'm wondering if maybe some term other than "Folder" should be used for this feature? "Group" perhaps? I think that the average user expects a "Folder" to be something that items are "moved" into, and would therefore expect that deleting such a Folder would also delete all of their items at the same time, since this is how folders work in just about every other app.

I definitely prefer the current behaviour, but I don't think the terminology is in line with how the average user would expect it to work.
  • MikeT
    edited November 2012
    I agree, one of the ideas I had in mind when I saw folders was that it'd be nice to create an archive folder to move items into and delete it if I find myself not using anything from there.

I'll be sure to bring this up with the devs.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.