transfter 1Password 6 to my other mac

Options
jmel
jmel
Community Member

I'm trying to move my 1Password from one Mac to another. I've got the App installed, but I can't get it out of Trial mode. The preferences is showing my name correctly, sign in address, email address, and a partial Secret key. How to I kick this into gear?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:transfter 1Password 6 to my other mac

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jmel

Do you have a 1Password subscription membership? If so you're entitled to use 1Password 7 for Mac with it. You can find that here:

Best Password Manager for macOS & Safari

If you do not have a membership, but instead have a 1Password 6 license... 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to use to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. Using version 6 should be considered a temporary measure. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, Safari 13 uses an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.

Ben

• jmel
    jmel
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Ben,

No. I originally purchased v.1, upgraded to v.4, and then to v.6 which is presently installed and up and running on my 2013 MacBook Pro Retina. I have just purchased a 2015 Retina with 2TB SSD which will carry me forward with my video editing. I have no desire to upgrade to 7 or a SaaS model at this time, especially with limited income. Transferring my 1Password to the newer CPU should be fine for my needs. Because of that, I have no access to a secret code, etc., so this venture has been painful. What am I doing wrong with the transfer of this App from 2013 with High Sierra to 2015 with Mojave? Thank you Sir!

• Ben
    Options

@jmel

It sounds like in the process you may have managed to sign up for a 1Password membership trial. That would be the only way you'd have a Secret Key. If that is the case then this guide should help:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

You'd also need to verify that the version you've installed is a version you're licensed for (e.g. you cannot use 1Password 7 without either a 1Password membership or a 1Password 7 license). In your case you'd need to have v6 installed, and apply that license. :+1:

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jmel
    jmel
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ben. I’ll give it a push!

Jordan

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• jmel
    jmel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, I'm back. It's not happening. I tried logging into my account to delete my 'subscription account' which shouldn't be needed with my 1Password. I then deleted 1Password 6 from the newer Mac, copied 1Password 6 from my older Mac, and installed it on the new. (I've even tried doing the same with the installer I downloaded from your site.)

It's still stuck on looking at my subscription account and requesting a Secret Key. I have my Primary vault stored on my Dropbox. If I try to copy the vault from my Dropbox to a thumb drive, it says that it will be deleted from Dropbox, which isn't what I want to do.

Why can't I simply run the v.6 installer downloaded from your site, link it up with my Dropbox, and then disable 1Password from my old Mac so I can get back to work? As a biggest fan of 1Password, I feel like a total brain donor. Sorry to be such a pain!

Thanks!

Jordan

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmel:

Why can't I simply run the v.6 installer downloaded from your site, link it up with my Dropbox, and then disable 1Password from my old Mac so I can get back to work?

You can do this if you want. After installing the app, it sounds like you are trying to login to your 1Password account since you are being prompted for your Secret Key. Can you instead click on the Dropbox option in that first window of the app?

This discussion has been closed.