How do I change the parameters of generated passwords?

I had to change my password for my bank account and they require just letters and number, no special characters. However, every generated password included special characters. Very , very frustrating. I was unable to find any way to change the parameters of the passwords being generated. How do I do this?
Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.18.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Edge
Referrer: forum-search:generated passwords

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @northern! Welcome to the forum!

In the 1Password X Password Generator, you can tweak this using the options right below the generated password:

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

@aga_ana Isn't it this feature available when password 'use suggested password' is shown? And why? I'd want to customise the suggested password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@koraykupe:

The suggested password is generated automatically and cannot be customised. Generated passwords are created in a way that most websites will accept out of the box: if you require additional changes, you need to use the full password generator in 1Password X.

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

By clicking plus icon and password item?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@koraykupe:

Correct: you can click the plus button and then choose the Password Generator entry, the first one in the menu ;)

• KazuT
    KazuT
    Community Member

@ag_ana How do I get to the screen you're at in the screenshot from your March 15 answer? I've been trying to get to that screen but can't figure out how.

• basurerito
    basurerito
    Community Member

@KazuT ... good point. Couldn't find it neither :-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@KazuT, @basurerito:

Open 1Password X > Click on the "+" button and select the Password Generator entry. I have prepared a video for you:

• basurerito
    basurerito
    Community Member

@ag_ana ... haha, so simple and obvious. :+1: Thanks :blush:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @basurerito :)

• KazuT
    KazuT
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thank you! I wonder why this is under the + rather than under Settings, which seems more intuitive to me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@KazuT:

Settings are used for configuration of 1Password X as a whole, while the idea is that if you use the password generator, it's because you are going to store that information in an item in 1Password :)

• prettyinbleu
    prettyinbleu
    Community Member

Hi- Can I use this in 1Password 7? Thanks

• @prettyinbleu

Yes, you can use 1Password in the browser with 1Password 7.

• prettyinbleu
    prettyinbleu
    Community Member

No, I meant changing the password parameters in 1Password 7. I remember being able to do that in previous versions.

• @prettyinbleu

If you're generating a password form the 1Password 7 desktop app you can do so from the password item itself:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 7.
    2. Click "+" next to the search field and choose Password.
    3. Click the gear icon in the "password" field and adjust the preferences for the password there.

Let me know how it goes, or if you have any questions.

• prettyinbleu
    prettyinbleu
    Community Member

I see it. Thank you! I vaguely remember being able to adjust the parameters in more details, ie use 4 symbols, 4 numbers.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @prettyinbleu ,

We removed some of the generator's customization features as they often hurt the entropy (randomness and complexity) of a password. If you want to customize the password further, you can edit it directly in the generator by clicking on the generated password and start typing where you clicked. :)

This discussion has been closed.