Software icons

Options
1235»

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

As mentioned, we're busy working on 1Password 4 for OS X, it will use the same image service as the 1Password 4 for iOS. We're making improvements for OS X app, which will also show up in the iOS app.

We're looking into the issues here, I'm sorry that we haven't been able to reply just yet, we're still working on this and it has taken a while. We'll update you guys as soon as we know more.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT just some thoughts.

The current implementation on 1Password 4 for iOS is not optimal. There are too much variations on App names and version numbers and it will be very confusing for the user to understand. Let me explain this with an example.

Apps get new versions and new app icons. Under 1Password 3 OS X my example app "Example" is at version 1.0. It was entered as such in 1Password 3 for OS X and its app icon was automatically entered. So far so good. I have to upload its icns file to your FTP server to have it added on 1Password 4 for iOS. If you do your job I will see the Example 1.0 icon on iOS.

Now "Example" 1.0 app gets an update to 2.0 and also gets a new app icon. "Example" keeps the same app name and no addition like "Example2" or "Example 2".

If I want to keep both listings on 1Password I have to upload the new icsn file to your server to see "Example" 2.0 on iOS. Now we have a problem as you do not see the difference between "Example" 1.0 and "Example" 2.0 as they have the very same name. In fact I have to manually rename the apps differently in 1Password OS X to see a different app icon and upload them to you as as 2 different apps.

Here comes the confusion for people updating from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4 as they have the dela with changing app names with the addition of version numbers. It the end it will be a chaos.

As scanning app is fine but only for the apps currently installed. All other apps which are not installed will not be scanned!

• MikeT
    Options

HI @mgshoutman,

I understand, this isn't the only solution at the moment because we do want to come up with a different way to handle this. The script and the FTP server are just temporary measures for now.

In your example, there would be three files involved on the server for your app; the "example 1".icns, "example 2".incs and the default "example".icns to act as a fallback for folks who never entered a version number.

My understanding is that we should be able to detect the version based on what you entered in the version field as well, not just the title. So if you have an item called "Example" and you updated the version field to "2.0" , it should automatically find the "example 2".icns off our server to pull it down. If not, it'll default to "example".icns until somebody uploads the "example 2".icns.

We could technically present both icons to users and ask them to pick the right one if we found more than one icon and the user never entered the version number in either its title or the version field.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT thanks, really looking forward to this new version 4 :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Mike, you are quite welcome! We'll keep working hard on it. :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know how I missed this post. ??

But this would be desired option,

We could technically present both icons to users and ask them to pick the right one if we found more than one icon and the user never entered the version number in either its title or the version field.

but also I would not want bombard the user will 50 K popups if they needed to decide on an icon.

If this were to be enabled I would say it only shows once you enter the app details pane or edit mode. Much quieter that way IMHO.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    Options

great, finally some app icons have been added. Missing Instacast though (added may 29)

This discussion has been closed.