Browser plugin stopped working, keeps asking me to buy 1Password memebership

WLC
WLC
Community Member
edited March 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

This week browser plugin broke (Chrome, probably others too). Keeps showing "Subscribe to 1 Password" instead of filling out forms

Have standalone licences been cancelled??? I'll switch to Apple's native Keychain then. It's free and it synchs for free.

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: NFI, the latest
OS Version: 10.15 19A487m
Sync Type: local/dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WLC! Welcome to the forum!

From the screenshot, it looks like you are running 1Password 7 for Mac. 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade, so it requires either a license for version 7, or an active subscription. Do you have one of the two?

• WLC
    WLC
    Community Member

As I said. It worked for (over?) 10 years until Monday. And yes I have the license. I figured it out - you / 1Password have secretly updated me to a subscription only 7.4.4. I killed it and reinstalled 7.4.3, it works. Sort of.

The question still stands - are the licenses still going or are they quietly killed? Clearly subscription is more profitable compared to one-off payments. If they are ever killed, the licences, I’ll just start using keychain. Don’t expect me to subscribe

• @WLC

If you need or want to purchase a standalone license, click the text "Need a license? We have those too." Immediately below the green box. You will be guided through the purchase process.

1Password 7 and all of its point updates from 7.0 - 7.4.4 (currently) require a membership or a paid upgrade (license). Downgrading to 7.4.3 would not change the need for a license.

• WLC
    WLC
    Community Member

Thank you for completely ignoring my statement that I do have a license. As I said, I solved my problem. Now please someone answer my question about the future of standalone licenses. Are they being quietly phased out?

Or was it a botched auto update that moved my software from standalone to subscription code? When I tried my perfectly working licence on 1Password that refused to work, it said “this software does not support standalone licences, please download from 1Password website”. Which I did, and that software was 7.4.3 only.

I’m starting to think 7.4.4, when released, will not accept any standalone. Wrong?

• Hey @WLC. I don't think Tommy was ignoring what you said. Licenses from past versions don't apply to 1Password 7, so that would require a new license. If you've already purchased a 1Password 7 license, thank you, and please do accept my apologies — I just want to make it clear that having had a license from years ago doesn't mean 1Password 7 would be included.

From the sound of things the issue at hand is 7.4.4. This is only on the Mac App Store, and it doesn't support standalone licenses. This was a hot fix release to the Mac App Store but not on the website because it didn't affect the website version. The issue is not actually the version number but rather where it was installed from. The website version wouldn't have auto-updated to a Mac App Store version, so I'm not sure what happened there, but at any rate, as long as you're back on the website version, it sounds like you're good to go — is that right? :smile:

• WLC
    WLC
    Community Member

Yes I’m good to go. Yet I’m plagued by the question everyone ignores. Are standalone licenses alive and well or are they in the process of being removed?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@WLC:

We don't speak about future plans either way because no matter what we would say, we would have a chance of being wrong. Currently, licenses are alive and well, as you say.

I hope this addresses your concerns.

This discussion has been closed.