using categories effectively

Options
Sillenp
Sillenp
Community Member

What is the best category for home utility accounts like the power acct or an internet provider? Also what category do you recommend using for investment accts that are both for web login and detailed acct info?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:what is the best category for home utility accounts like the power acct or an internet provider?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sillenp! Welcome to the forum!

What is the best category for home utility accounts like the power acct or an internet provider?

For both of these you could use a Secure Note. Alternatively, if you want something a bit more structured, you could consider using an Identity item.

Also what category do you recommend using for investment accts that are both for web login and detailed acct info?

I personally use both: a Login item for the online credentials, and a Bank Account item for the actual account information. But if you only want to use one, I recommend using a Login item for all the information, since only Login items can be filled on websites (so if you put login and password in a Bank Account item, you would not be able to use 1Password to autofill your information for you).

• break80
    break80
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana,

For utility accounts, you suggested either Secure Note, or Identity for more structure, as options for @sillenp. My question has to do with these fields and how they can or cannot be used to autofill fields.

To take the example of Utilities, let's say I have a Login item and a Secure Note to describe my power company in 1Password, and within the Secure Note all details about my business (except login information) are written as line items in a single easy to read notes field. What is the advantage (or reason) to breaking up my notes into individual structured fields? Since this is not a login, can any of these fields be used for auto-filling anything? If I had structured this utility as a login, can the other fields be used for autofil somehow?

Thanks,

Break80

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@break80:

What is the advantage (or reason) to breaking up my notes into individual structured fields? Since this is not a login, can any of these fields be used for auto-filling anything?

You can choose the type of each field separately: you can set some as passwords so that they are masked, some as text, some as dates etc. A secure note is all text instead. But both will work for you in your example, because I don't think you will find yourself wanting to fill your power company details on websites on a regular basis, so it might not be a big limitation anyway.

Personally, also by reading all your previous posts, I think that you should consider using custom fields and sections, so you know exactly what each field means since you would be the one who creates them. This will also allow you to store everything inside the same login instead of using a secure note. These additional entries won't fill, but they will allow you to keep everything in one place, if you prefer this as opposed to using Secure Notes.

• break80
    break80
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana,

Thanks for your response. I actually have been using custom fields in some records. Since custom fields are not used to autofill on websites or apps, do they serve only as structured storage of specific information with no real programmatical intent?

However, tags are another, similar form of "structure" that could be useful. To me tags are a higher level custom field, where Tags relate to whole Records while Custom Fields inside of the Records relate the field's detail.

It would be great to know what other people are doing and how they organized their custom fields and tags. Is there a post, help video, or blog where people discuss how they use custom fields and tags?

break80

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020
    Options

@break80

I actually have been using custom fields in some records. Since custom fields are not used to autofill on websites or apps, do they serve only as structured storage of specific information with no real programmatical intent?

The newest versions of 1Password's filling algorithms will actually try to fill custom fields from Login items.

It would be great to know what other people are doing and how they organized their custom fields and tags. Is there a post, help video, or blog where people discuss how they use custom fields and tags?

This blog post may be helpful:

Secure all the things in Secure Notes

I'm sure there are also other threads here on this forum where folks have shared how they're using custom fields, though I can't recall any off-hand. :)

Ben

• break80
    break80
    Community Member
    Options

@ben,

I watched the video on tags, which shows the intent of the system for tags and nested tags. I also learned you can drag and drop.

The comment on some other fields will fill with Login items is interesting. You didn't which fields, so I will look for some of these.

Thanks, break80

• On behalf of Ben, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.