Request: Alphabetise usernames of logins for the same website

noahm
noahm
Community Member

Hi!

I have a few Logins within 1Password that are for the same website (same Item Title). However, I have noticed that, while the Items are in alphabetical order, the usernames are not.

For example, if I was to have multiple accounts for a particular site (and my items to be sorted by Title, A to Z), one would expect them to be listed as 'accountA', 'accountB', 'accountC', etc. Instead, the order for me appears to be random, for example: 'accountB', 'accountA', 'accountC'.

This is especially frustrating when using iOS' native AutoFill feature as there is no ability to search (iOS restriction, I understand, unless one was to open the full extension up). For desktop, it's not a huge problem as I can quickly hit the first letter of the username and it'll more than likely be what I'm looking for.

I at least can not find where to fix this within:

• 1Password beta for macOS (7.5.0, build 70500000)
  • 1Password beta for iOS (7.5.0, build 70500000)

Thank you.

(I'm not sure where this should be posted but I assume this forum category is more of a "General" category)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @noahm

Thanks for taking the time to write in with this feedback. Could you please let me know... do each of these Logins have exactly the same website fields (in the same order) on them?

Ben

• noahm
    noahm
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,

Some do, some don't. However, the ones that are exactly the same, are sometimes grouped together, sometimes not, but regardless, those with the exact same website field are not in alphabetical order. Sorry if that's a little confusing!

After writing above, I decided to change them all to be the same. Force killed all 1Password processes (macOS), and there was no change. All website fields (and Title fields) are the exact same, and they are not in alphabetical order.

• @noahm

To be clear: the titles of these logins do not contain the username? 1Password is supposed to first sort by best match by URL (with favorite items taking precedence), and then by title. I'm honestly not sure what criteria it sorts by if both of those things match exactly. I'm going to have to play around / ask around about that.

But in the mean time, I think you can achieve what you're looking for by adding the username at the end of the title. I did a test:

Each of the !! Google items are exact duplicates of each other, with only the username being changed. The sort order is... indiscernible at a quick glance. Then I added the username to the title of each item:

As you can see they are now sorted in alphabetical order by username. That might be something to consider until/unless I can come up with a better answer about the default sort order? :)

Ben

• noahm
    noahm
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,

I'm sorry; is this a bug or the expected behaviour?

Both my Title and Website are the exact same – as well as the category (Login) – fields. It's not a huge problem for me, so I will just leave the Title fields the same, but I do think this should still be addressed and fixed.

Thanks.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2020

@noahm

As I say I'm going to have to do some additional research on that. It isn't entirely clear to me how sorting is done if both the URLs and title match exactly. I'm working on finding that out. If this is expected behavior (i.e. the username is not considered for the sort order), then the method I suggested above with adding the username to the item title would be the best way to achieve what you'd like.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.