Where are the passwords saved?

Options
Toku
Toku
Community Member

Hello,

I would like to know If passwords are saved locally or on a server?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Toku

Both. :)

1Password caches your data locally so that it can be accessed while offline, but it also syncs your encrypted data with 1Password.com so that it can be accessed from your other devices. You can read more about how this works here:

About the 1Password security model

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Toku
    Toku
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi @Ben

Yes that helps me alot! I just wanted to be sure that I cant lose all my passwords due a drive failure, or due to reinstalling my OS.

I knew about synching but setting up a VM to sync the data and use it as an own "backup server" would be too much ^^

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020
    Options

(edit: oops, sorry, hit submit too early)

Yes that helps me alot! I just wanted to be sure that I cant lose all my passwords due a drive failure, or due to reinstalling my OS.

That was one of the core elements we took into consideration when designing the service. :)

I knew about synching but setting up a VM to sync the data and use it as an own "backup server" would be too much ^^

Sounds like a fun project though! ;)

Ben

• Toku
    Toku
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Ben

I'm testing 1Password right now but I got there an issue.
    I can't save passwords that have a length over 64, but the passwords for my servers have a length of 100 :cry:

Am I overlooking something? Im saving these passwords in a "Secure Note" atm but that's not really a solution for me :angry:

But Im happy that 1Password also works on Opera (with an extra extension ofc) :+1:

Thanks in advance
    Toku

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Toku:

As far as I know, there is no limit to the length of passwords you can save inside 1Password: the only limitation is 64 character in the random password generator, but if you have longer passwords you should still be able to store them in a Login item.

• Toku
    Toku
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Well thanks! I don't know how this happened, and it doesn't happen anymore.
    But when I copy pasted the password in the browser extension, it only pasted 64 characters.
    Can't reproduce it now anymore, maybe I'm just retarded.

still thanks! :+1:

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020
    Options

I've certainly seen cases where form fields on various websites will only accept a certain number of characters, and if the password stored in 1Password is longer it'll be truncated upon filling. Is that perhaps what you're thinking of? I suppose it is a good thing that it isn't reproducible in the 1Password browser extension.

Ben

P.S. I realize it was self-referential but this is a family friendly forum so please try to avoid that sort of language here. :)

This discussion has been closed.