Mac app unlock password

Options
Corpus_Frisky
Corpus_Frisky
Community Member

The password I use to unlock my 1P vault via a browser, which I guess is called a master password, is a string of four words, so it's lengthy and should be highly secure. However, I am able to unlock the 1P app on my Mac using a different, shorter password which I find highly convenient.

I have recently set up a family member with 1P and they also have a four word string to unlock their vault. But unfortunately the same four word string is required to unlock their 1P app, which is very cumbersome. I can't recall how I was able to set up my app to use a different, shorter password than the one that is my four word master. Can anyone help me with this? Aforementioned family member is very put off by having to remember and enter a four word string to the point where they won't use 1P and continue to use weak passwords on various websites.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Corpus_Frisky

The way unlocking 1Password works is:

• If a Primary vault exists 1Password will always unlock using the Master Password for that vault. This supersedes all of the following rules.
    • If a single 1Password.com account is logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password for that account.
    • If multiple 1Password.com accounts are logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first account that was added.

We would highly recommend against using a Primary vault, particularly for this purpose. I would suggest working with this family member to see if perhaps a different password strategy would work better for them. Maybe three words, separated by a different number between each word? That, or using a Touch ID enabled Mac, would be the lesser of the evils here.

Please let me know how you make out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.