Scanning barcodes broke for Mojave (10.14.6) recently

Options
jewelengineering
jewelengineering
Community Member

Until the most recent update, in Mac OS X Mojave, I could scan 2 factor authentication bar codes from the screen. In Catalina (10.15.4) it works and correctly requests the permissions to do so, but in Mojave it seems to have broken.

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:barcode mojave

Comments

• @jewelengineering

You indicated you were using 7.4.4. That is a specific Mac App Store build. I am sad to say, it is no longer possible for the Mac App Store version of 1Password to look at your screen for QR codes. App Store apps are only allowed to use the Screen Recording permission for actual screen recording applications, not for reading QR codes. These may be some options for you:

• paste the QR code image into the scanner window
    • drag the QR code image into the scanner window
    • click on the camera button in the bottom right of the window and choose Open File to pick an image of the QR code
    • make use of Camera Continuity via the camera button in the bottom right of the window to take a picture with your iPhone/iPad
    • make use of the iSight/FaceTime camera on your MacBook/Air/Pro to take a picture of the QR code on another screen/device/print out

You can also alternatively switch to using the WebStore build which does not have the same access limitation.

• jewelengineering
    jewelengineering
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the alternative suggestions. I'll download and install it directly from 1password.com. Incidentally, I tried pasting and dragging the QR code directly from a browser window (Safari, I believe) and it application didn't seem to receive the image. After reading your suggestion, I attempted to use Camera Continuity and the button in the bottom right corner didn't give the option for any other camera, even with my phone active and nearby (that said, though Preview can find the phone's camera, it can't seem to take a picture either). Downloading the app sounds like it will fix the issue, though, thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of ag_tommy, you are welcome @jewelengineering! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.