I don't want my children to manage their own private vaults.

Options
zucker
zucker
Community Member

I don't want my children to manage their own private vaults. I only want to share items from a parent/family account owner (which I am doing successfully via "view only" in shared vaults). How do I hide or restrict access to private vaults on their devices?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I don't want my children to manage their own private vaults. I only want to share items from a parent/family account owner. How do I hide or restrict access to the private vault?

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hi @zucker

There isn't a way to restrict access to the Private vault for family members, but you can hide it from their default view. The way to do this varies a bit depending on which app(s) they are using, but for example in 1Password for Mac you'd open 1Password > Preferences > Vaults and uncheck the Private vault next to Show in All Vaults. They can still manually switch to the Private vault, but it would not appear in their All Vaults (default) view. Further details and instructions for other platforms can be found here:

Use All Vaults to see all your items at once

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• zucker
    zucker
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, one of my kids is too tech savvy and will be able to work around it. Family membership seems perfect for older kids who are digitally responsible. There are some key features missing, though, for families with 8-13 yr olds who are old enough to navigate on their own but not yet responsible enough (and legally allowed) to manage their own accounts and passwords. Can you please submit a feature request to lockdown private vaults for designated family members?

We’d also like to request a feature to apply the same level of access permissions (mange, view and edit, and view only) to the default family shared folder. For the same reasons above, we would like our younger kids to have access to VIEW their accounts/passwords but not have the ability to edit them or any other password in the shared vault.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zucker:

Thank you for the feedback! :+1: :)

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member
    Options

@zucker could you make a "guest" account for them instead, and thus they cannot then use a private fault..
    of course they would only be able to use one vault at a time ..
    a "kids/Guest" read only vault say.. but would fulfil your needs :) ? or am i missing something ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is a good idea @gadget78, thank you for sharing it! Here is the relevant documentation page, in case it's useful:

Share with guests in 1Password Families

This discussion has been closed.