Annoyed - Master password not working

Options
jayFocus
jayFocus
Community Member

I purchased 1Password when there was a lifetime offer.

A year ago I started getting messages that I needed to upgrade, which deletes the old copy and installs the new one. Except now it wants me to buy a subscription for it to work in my Chrome Browser automatically like it did before.

So I go back to using an old version and have to manually search for a password every-time I need it. Annoying, so much for the lifetime offer.

Today I finally relent, because i'm sick of searching every-time and install the new version 7 and look at getting a subscription. I download the new version, it deletes the old one (same as last time) and it asks for my master password, but it comes up red error.

So i go back to an old version and put in the same password, opens right up.

Why is 7 not accepting my master password? Old versions work fine.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jayFocus! Welcome to the forum!

Why is 7 not accepting my master password? Old versions work fine.

If old versions work fine, this means that you chose a different Master Password when you installed 1Password 7 some time ago, instead of choosing the one you knew. In this case, if there is nothing you need inside 1Password 7, you can start over with an empty app so you can configure it from scratch.

• jayFocus
    jayFocus
    Community Member
    Options

You are right. It annoying that my lifetime purchase lasted a few years.

• Ben
    Options

1Password licenses have always been sold on a per-person per-platform and per-version basis. e.g. a 1Password 6 for Mac license allowed one person to use 1Password v6 on all of their Macs, but did not include 1Password for Windows, 1Password 7, or any other people. I'm sorry if this was not clear. We no longer advertise licenses, in part due to folks purchasing one and expecting it to include those things. Instead 1Password is now sold as a membership service which includes the latest versions of all of our apps for all of your compatible devices, and with 1Password Families also includes access for your family. If you'd like to discuss how to best move forward I'd suggest reaching out to us at support@1password.com via email so we can get you on a better path. Thanks!

Ben

• jayFocus
    jayFocus
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Ben, yes I get that. But when you buy a lifetime product, you expect it to be ... for the lifetime of the product. At least that's how it was sold at the time. I do understand that that's not a great business model and going forward that wasn't going to work (everything is subscription now), and I do understand that upgrading lifetime users to new versions (with say subscriptions for a limited time) would have resulted in more angst. And upgrading everyone to a lifetime of subscriptions, was also not feasible. Rock and a hard place.
    But I do think it's a a cop-out to say, 'oh you purchased a lifetime subscription to 1Password 6, that didn't mean you'd get ... 1Password 7! And sorry 1 Password 6 doesn't add to your browser anymore you need to upgrade your lifetime purchase'. I think you got a bit creative with finding a loophole out of the wording.
    Anyways, is what it is. Thanks for your time in getting back to me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jayFocus:

But when you buy a lifetime product, you expect it to be ... for the lifetime of the product.

But I do think it's a a cop-out to say, 'oh you purchased a lifetime subscription to 1Password 6, that didn't mean you'd get ... 1Password 7!

Sorry for the confusion! The fact is, there has never been a "lifetime subscription" to 1Password 6. If you purchase a standalone license for 1Password 6, you can continue using 1Password 6 for as long as you want, but sooner or later OS upgrades or other app upgrades might make it stop working. The only way to avoid this is to never update anything on your computer, but this is something we do not recommend.

In this specific case, Apple decided to discontinue the Safari Extensions Gallery, which 1Password 6 relied on for the browser extension:

If you can’t install the 1Password 6 extension in Safari on your Mac

Indeed, 1Password 6 still works with other browsers however, such as Firefox and Chrome. So you can still use 1Password 6 if you prefer, just not with Safari due to this change.

This discussion has been closed.