How can I avoid the 1Password Icon from getting orphaned on my MacOS screen?

Options
gpellegrino
gpellegrino
Community Member

1Password Icon gets orphaned onto the screen. Unable to remove or affect it without rebooting.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @gpellegrino,

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by this? Would it be possible to post a screenshot illustrating the problem?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Are there any specific circumstances where this happens? Please let me know.

Ben

• gpellegrino
    gpellegrino
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,
    The comment bar is broken on your support page, keeping me from uploading an image. I'll try to describe. When the 1Password App for Mac launches the icon that looks like a keyhole is shown on the screen. Usually briefly. When this error occurs that icon is left on my desktop. For a picture, imagine this image (the circle part only) floating on the desktop.
    https://images.idgesg.net/images/article/2018/06/1password7-mac-icon-100760704-large.jpg
    It is in the front, and cannot be accessed. Just in the way. I've used 1Password on MacOS for years, and have continually seen this problem. I do not know how to make it occur at will. When it does occur, I have to reboot to not have that deadspot on my screen.

• Ben
    Options

@gpellegrino

I'm sorry you had trouble posting the screenshot. You should be able to post it here, but let's try a different approach instead. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com. Note that this address is different than the default - please change to To: line to this before sending.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/112998/how-can-i-avoid-the-1password-icon-from-getting-orphaned-on-my-macos-screen#latest
    • Your forum username: gpellegrino
    • The screenshot you tried posting here

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• gpellegrino
    gpellegrino
    Community Member
    Options

• gpellegrino
    gpellegrino
    Community Member
    Options

Image upload is working here today. Uploaded the screenshot.

• Ben
    Options

Interesting. I can't say I've ever seen that before @gpellegrino. The next time this happens please try launching 1Password and then quitting it completely using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌥⌘Q. Does that cause the icon to disappear?

Also have you seen this happen with any other apps?

Ben

• gpellegrino
    gpellegrino
    Community Member
    Options

I've not seen another app do this. I have closed 1Password and that has no effect. Also, this isn't new behavior. I've seen this issue with 1Password across multiple Macbooks and an iMac, and across the last two MacOS major versions.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020
    Options

To clarify: what I'm asking you to try is more in-depth than closing 1Password. When you close the app using ⌘Q or by clicking the red circle at the top left of the window 1Password is still running in the background. ⌃⌥⌘Q quits it completely, so that no part of 1Password is running anymore. I'm trying to determine if this is happening for you even when 1Password itself is completely unloaded from memory.

I've seen this issue with 1Password across multiple Macbooks and an iMac, and across the last two MacOS major versions.

I spoke with development about this issue, and they haven't seen it before either. This would seem to suggest that there is some other 3rd party software installed on each of these Macs that is causing an odd interaction with 1Password. Along with the diagnostic report requested above, would you please send us a list of the software you have installed on one of the Macs that is exhibiting this behavior?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.