To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Should I change 1password master password?

Options
sach_nyc
sach_nyc
Community Member

Hello friends,

My chrome has been acting out lately with all kind of out of memory errors and what not. tabs disappear, crash again and again. I am trying to find a solution. So, when I clicked chrome 1password addon to auto-fill password, it did not pop up. so, i opened up 1password from desktop but accidentally tried to login on a site with 1password master password....oops. Webroot subscription did not find any malware.

so, should I change 1password master password now? also, any solutions for this crashing chrome? It's up to date and windows 10 is also latest.

Thanks a bunch
Sach

1Password Version: 7.4.763
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sach_nyc

We're not in much of a position to troubleshoot issues with Google Chrome, beyond our own extension for it, but I'd suggest starting by disabling all extensions except for 1Password and see if that resolves the issue. If it does then you can try re-enabling them one-by-one until the crashing returns. At that point you'd have a pretty good idea which is the culprit (the last one you enabled). You may also want to try temporarily uninstalling the Webroot software and seeing if that makes a difference. One other thing you may consider is if your system specs match up with what you're trying to do. Chrome does require a fair bit of memory, for example. I usually recommend at least 8GB for folks running Chrome on Windows 10, and twice that if using a lot of tabs.

As for your Master Password... that's really going to be a personal choice. If it were me, I'd consider:

1. What was the website where this happened? Was it a reputable site? If not, then yes, I'm changing it. If it is, then I'd have additional considerations.
    2. What are the downsides of changing the Master Password - I've used the same one for years, so I have significant muscle memory built up for it. Learning a new one would be a significant learning curve. Forgetting the Master Password may be game over, so I'd have to weigh the risk of it being stolen vs the risk of it being forgotten.
    3. Was there any other information filled into the form along with the Master Password, or was it just that with no other context about who I am? If other personally identifiable information was entered then I'm probably going to go the new Master Password route. If that was the only thing entered then I may think twice.

Entirely up to you - but that are some factors I would look at if it were me. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.