Setup > News : please hide english text or allow us to translate also the news ...

face
face
Community Member
edited December 2012 in iOS
Please can you hide Syncing is ... (please see pic) or allow us to translate also news ?
Thanks

Comments

• Hi face,

We don't plan to hide it, it's a way to know if there's a new article in the News section. I'll check if we have plans to support translations for the News article, which might not happen because there might be a lot of articles coming into the News section and it might not be feasible to get it translated in time.

We'll look into it.

Thanks!
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    I can understand you don't want to hide it and probably it's not a good idea to translate all the multiple news BUT why then not simply show a word or two there announcing there's some news new :) so that we can simply translate that word or two ?
    What do you think about my idea ? (clap)
  • Hi face,

We could do that, we're looking into it and the other idea is to use a "Updated" badge like we have an error badge already.

In addition, others have suggested that we also sync "unread"/"read" statuses for the news article, so that if you read some news articles on iPhone, it'll be marked as read on the iPad and other devices as well.

Hopefully, we can make that happen.

Thanks!
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    Great ! I love the badge idea but also other idea are good too. Please as soon as you'll decide post here the final solution so we can soon translate (if necessary and it will be the solution) the unique label.
  • Will do.

Thanks!
  • I would love to translate the news. It might be difficult however to keep them translated all the time and especially when there is something that needs to be posted right away.

I wonder if we should show something like "News (English only)" or "News (In English)" when the current language is not English?
  • I think that'll help, at least to set the expectations that the News are not likely to be translated in case people waits to see if it'll be translated later.
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    Hi Roustem,
    for me it's not a problem to translate in italian all the news that will be available in the future.

BUT i continue to think that in that view controller (see pic shown) it would be better NOT to show anything else, only the actual icon, and text News (in italian Novità).
    Probably a simple badge or highlight the text or animate the newspaper icon would be sufficient to advise users that there're some more news to read.

What do you think about that ?
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    Any update on that ?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I think the plan is to not try to translate the news items themselves since it might become overwhelming to manage for all the dozen or so languages. We may experiment with the title of the section to clarify that users should not expect it to be localized (something like "News (English Only)" as Roustem suggested), but we have some bigger issue we need to attend to before we can come back to this I think.

We really appreciate your feedback (and your patience)! :)
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    Solved all the bigger issue ?
    Reminder to adjust Setup > News little_issue (think)
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    4.1 b2: again, the problem is not solved, why it takes so looooong ?
    It's really not nice to continue to see only that part untranslated ...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I don't know that this is going to be changed, but we have already noted your vote for this. Each person only gets one vote in order to be fair to everyone. We are always agile, though, so nothing is set forever. We'll continue to evaluate as we get some more feedback from others on this issue.

Thanks! :D
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    edited December 2012
    Just a question: why simply NOT show the beginning of the phrase after the word New ?
    A simple New without any truncated word should be fine there ... also for native version ...
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    4.1b3: thanks a bunch ! :)
  • One short note about 4.1 Beta 3: I don't like the "In English" text in the german version. Maybe translating the news isn't a good solution either but This text feels wrong (in my opinion). Maybe you could change it to "Englische News" or "Englische Updates" to make it work better with the rest of the UI.
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    You can translate "In English", it's now avaible (from today) in Crowdin.
    As said i love this simple solution ...

• One short note about 4.1 Beta 3: I don't like the "In English" text in the german version. Maybe translating the news isn't a good solution either but This text feels wrong (in my opinion). Maybe you could change it to "Englische News" or "Englische Updates" to make it work better with the rest of the UI.

The translation does not have to be exact. Feel free to change it.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.