Can't enable safari extension (safari 13, 1P7)

Options
shaocaholica
shaocaholica
Community Member

Just installed 1P7 on this Mac which was wiped clean and had MacOS 10.15.4 installed last week.

1P7 app was installed from the App Store. 1P7 app works fine but the Safari extension cannot be enabled with the checkbox. Clicking the checkbox causes it the highlight but does not check enabled. Tried rebooting and also manually closing 1P7 app and Safari with no luck.

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @shaocaholica

I'm very sorry to hear 1Password isn't integrating with Safari as expected. I understand these instructions may be a bit similar to ones you've already tried, but we've had very high success rates if these steps are followed exactly. Please try these instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• jamesjohnson1390
    jamesjohnson1390
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this same issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 1password, but no luck. I even followed the uninstall instructions for Mac on your website, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

• rudy
    Options

@jamesjohnson1390,

are you on a multi-display Mac? what happens if you drag that Safari preferences window onto the screen that System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrange shows as having your menubar and you try to turn the extension on with the prefs window on that screen?

• jamesjohnson1390
    jamesjohnson1390
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, I'm on a MacBook Pro.

• shaocaholica
    shaocaholica
    Community Member
    Options

So I thought it was something on my end but having asked around there seems to be a bigger issue of safari extensions not enabling across the board with the latest safari/MacOS. It’s not everyone but it’s enough to notice the complaints.

• rudy
    Options

@shaocaholica,

The one issue i'm aware of is one that i described, where if you're sharing your screen it forces you to move the preferences window to your "primary" display in order to turn the checkboxes on.

• shaocaholica
    shaocaholica
    Community Member
    Options

Im not sharing my screen or have additional displays connected. This is on my MacBook Pro with its one display. No screen extending software installed either.

• Ben
    Options

And you can't enable other extensions besides 1Password either?

Ben

• shaocaholica
    shaocaholica
    Community Member
    Options

I don’t have any other extensions for safari.

• Ben
    Options

I see... so, with this statement:

So I thought it was something on my end but having asked around there seems to be a bigger issue of safari extensions not enabling across the board with the latest safari/MacOS.

You were referring only to the experience of others, and not something you'd seen first hand (with the exception of 1Password)? As a troubleshooting step would you mind trying installing a different Safari extension to see if it can be enabled? If so, as a troubleshooting measure, please try installing this extension:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/duckduckgo-privacy-essentials/id1482920575?mt=12

Note that this is a 3rd party app and this troubleshooting suggestion is not an endorsement of this software by 1Password. Please let me know if you're able to enable that.

Ben

• shaocaholica
    shaocaholica
    Community Member
    Options

As a troubleshooting step would you mind trying installing a different Safari extension to see if it can be enabled? If so, as a troubleshooting measure, please try installing this extension:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/duckduckgo-privacy-essentials/id1482920575?mt=12

Just installed duckduckgo. There are 2 extensions. Same issue. They come into safari disabled and I am unable to enable them with via the checkbox UI. Same Safari/MacOS version as my initial post.

• Ben
    Options

@shaocaholica

If you're unable to enable other Safari extensions as well then I would recommend reaching out to Apple to troubleshoot further. Unfortunately it sounds like the problem you're experiencing may be with Safari rather than with 1Password.

Please let me know how you make out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.