Using "username" to refine suggestions

My browser is firefox on Mac OSX.

First, when 1Password has not been unlocked, it interferes with the browser when doing username completions. When I type part of the username, my browser field history gives me possible completions below the field, but when I press the ⭣ down-arrow key, the 1passwordX popup comes up telling me to use "⌘." to unlock.

Then when I unlock, the username field does not seem to be used to select the most appropriate login. This can be a nuisance on a domain where I have a lot of different logins. The username suggestion seems to be used when 1passwordX is already unlocked, showing only the logins for the username that I typed (or part of the username)... but not consistenly. Only when I type the username when I first enter the page, and then press the ⭣ down-arrow key, I see only the logins matching that username. But the username is ignored when using "⌘.". And if I do anything else, eg first use "⌘.", and then close that menu and use the down-arrow key, the username is no longer used.

It would in my opinion be better to always show the same list of possible logins, but sorted so that the best matching username and URL is on top, with other options further down.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 1.19.0
OS Version: OS X 10.15.4
Sync Type: 1password cloud

Comments

• cecelia
    edited April 2020

Hey @johnpc! I think I was able to reproduce what you've described here. It seems like there are a few circumstances in which the inline menu doesn't detect the text you've populated the username field with and therefore can't suggest the appropriate logins. I've gone ahead and reported this behavior to the developers to see what their thoughts are on this or if there's anything we can do to improve that behavior. In the meantime, I've found that using ⌘A to select the contents of the username field, then starting to type the username again will bring up the proper suggestions as long as the inline menu is already open.

As for the browser's suggestions getting in the way or vice versa, we do recommend disabling the browser's built in password manager, as it can get in the way of 1Password working as intended. Making 1Password the default password manager will take care of that for you. To get there:

1. Right click the 1Password X icon in the browser's toolbar.
    2. Choose Settings.
    3. Turn on Make 1Password the default password manager.

That should do it!

ref:dev/core/core#1357

• johnpc
    johnpc
    Community Member

Hi Cecelia,

1Password was already the default password manager. I don't think it's the password manager, it looks more like a form-autocomplete feature in firefox. I get the same suggestion boxes when filling in things like address, phonenumber, etc.

I tried the ⌘A suggestion for the username, but that doesn't work reliably either. To reproduce, make sure 1Password is still locked, type the username, Type ⌘. to unlock and enter your passphrase. Then ESC to get out of the 1Password box, then ESC again to remove the suggestions. Now press ⌘A to select the contents of the username field, then press down arrow. I still see the entire list of suggestions, not filtered on username at all.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@johnpc – Thanks for getting back to us and for continuing to look into this. Your browser's autofill and password manager tend to be grouped together as one. Just like 1Password will also fill your address, phone number, etc. I was under the impression, and it sounds like Cecelia was too, that making 1Password the default password manager would disable your browser's autofill as well. Firefox isn't my daily driver, but I just gave it a try, and enabling the Make 1Password the default password manager setting in 1Password X caused the autocomplete option to disappear for me. If you're interested in having both your browser's autocomplete and 1Password enabled, you should be able to use ⌘-↓ to use Firefox's dropdown.

I'm sorry to hear that the ⌘-A trick didn't end up helping. I see that we've got an issue filed for our developers, so they'll look into it and discuss how we can improve the behavior. I appreciate you getting the issue on our radar!

This discussion has been closed.