A couple of general questions

Options

Hi All,

I use the latest versions of 1P on Windows 10, Mac and iOS. My questions center on Windows:

1. Is it advisable to use both the 1P windows desktop app simultaneously with a 1P browser extension? I use Edge Chromium and Chrome.
  2. When I activate the desktop app, it will auto-select the site/program that requires auto-filling, but the same does not occur with the browser extension. In other words, the extension simply brings me to the "top of my list" and I have to type in a few chars to locate the site I'm trying to log into.
  3. I'm no longer seeing the 1P symbol to the right of the user ID and pw fields on web sites. What did I mess up?

thanks in advance for your help; 1P is indispensable to me.

echovictor

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 1.18.1
OS Version: Win 10 Enterprise Build 1909
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @echovictor! 👋 I'm glad you reached out.

Is it advisable to use both the 1P windows desktop app simultaneously with a 1P browser extension? I use Edge Chromium and Chrome.

You're more than welcome to use the 1Password desktop app as well as 1Password X. Keep in mind that 1Password X and 1Password for Windows won't communicate with each other, but they run smoothly alongside one another.

When I activate the desktop app, it will auto-select the site/program that requires auto-filling, but the same does not occur with the browser extension. In other words, the extension simply brings me to the "top of my list" and I have to type in a few chars to locate the site I'm trying to log into.

As long as you have 1Password X set to open to Suggestions, you should see any Logins matching the website you're currently visiting at the top of the list. For example, when you visit www.twitter.com and click the 1Password X icon in your browser toolbar, you should see your Twitter item appear first (as long as you have an item with www.twitter.com as the website URL, of course). To double check that setting, right click on the 1Password X icon in your browser toolbar, then select Settings. Then, make sure the Open 1Password to setting is set to Suggestions.

I'm no longer seeing the 1P symbol to the right of the user ID and pw fields on web sites. What did I mess up?

Hmm – that doesn't sound right. Do you have 1Password X listed as one of your installed extensions in both Edge and Chrome? 1Password X is the extension that'll show the 1Password symbol directly within fields, so you'll want to make sure that's the extension you have installed first. If you have the 1Password companion extension installed, for example, that one won't show symbols directly within fields.

You're very welcome! I'm happy to help. If you think of any other questions, feel free to send them my way. :)

• echovictor
    echovictor
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kaitlyn

Thanks for your reply.

I do have the extension 1PX loaded on both browsers. I had disabled it before recently re-enabling it. I did this because i have a good number of similar logins, all with the same password, to simulate customer dealers logging into our site, that i use for testing. So, i thoughts having the browser remember these would save my work vault from getting crowded with a lot of “noise”.

Its only after re-enabling 1PX that the mini 1P icons stopped appearing in the ID/PW fields. I think I’ll remove and re-add the extensions on both browsers.

I’ll let you know of that reapplies my self-inflicted issue lol

Best
    Earl

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@echovictor – I want to clarify something real quick. 1Password X and the 1Password companion extension are not meant to be used together. Having both enabled simultaneously can cause some issues in regards to filling. You mentioned extensions (plural), and I wasn't sure if you were referring to each of the different browsers or not, so I figured I'd mention that just in case.

Please do let me know how it works out for you!

• echovictor
    echovictor
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm let me confirm. Good point

• echovictor
    echovictor
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. In Edge. I DID have both. The 1P Extension was way at the bottom so i didn’t see it until i scrolled. So i removes that and i just have the 1PX extension installed. Restarted Edge and I don’t see the icons in the login fields

I’ll check Chrome now

• echovictor
    echovictor
    Community Member
    Options

In Chrome i had just the 1PX extension. I am getting the icons in the login fields. I guess I’ve been using Edge a lot lately ave didn’t realize. I’ll remove the 1PX extension in Edge now and retest

• echovictor
    echovictor
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kaitlyn

I’m good to go; removing & re-adding the 1PX Edge extension worked.

This issue caused me to look a little deeper into 1P, as I’ve never really needed to before. I understand now the distinction between the 1PX and the 1P browser extensions.

I wish there was a way to black-list a site. I want 1P to b the default pw manager except on the test Web servers at work. I do use 1P at work for my AD credentials and other stuff.

If you have any thoughts on this last point, feel free to share. If not, i want to thank you very much for your assistance

Be well & stay safe,
    Earl

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@echovictor – I'm glad to hear that! I think it's beneficial for you to understand 1Password X vs. the 1Password companion extension. It'll likely save you some confusion down the road, if they were to ever get mixed up. That said, we're always happy to answer questions for you, so never hesitate to reach out to us. :)

Hmm – I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean. It is possible to hide the 1Password X inline menu on specific pages (until you quit your browser), but it's not possible to disable 1Password X completely on a specific site without doing it manually.

To hide the inline menu, you'll want to first invoke the inline menu on a field (on the page where you're wanting it hidden), then click on Suggestions, then select Hide on this page. Like I mentioned, that'll cause the inline menu to not appear on that page until your browser is restarted. I hope that helps!

• echovictor
    echovictor
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Kaitlyn!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @echovictor! Stay safe out there. ❤️

This discussion has been closed.